Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 301A (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-301a-t211715.html)

kitsykeel 01-22-2013 06:28 PM

Congratulations on your find. How about calling her "Black Beauty?"

deedum 01-22-2013 06:41 PM

Oh a black machine, how wonderful! I have two 301 A's, twins named Ester and Opal! Wonderful machines. Your gonna love it!

didi 01-23-2013 04:13 AM

I'm so happy for you, doing the Happy Dance. Funny, I just bought a 301A too. I bought mine off Craig's list in Arkansas..my sister picked it up for me, I haven't even seen it yet. Going home to Arkansas in March for my yearly Doctor appt. and will get to sew on it then..its a long bed Black one. I've been waiting a long time for this one. So I'm doing a Happy Dance for both of us. Its name is Miss Lee for my sister, since she picked it up for me..she was thrilled I named a machine after her. LOL

lovelyl 01-23-2013 05:23 AM

Congrats! Can't wait to see a pic. She will tell you her name once you are better acquainted. A 301 is on my wish list, but around here, they are selling for more than my budget will allow right now. Maybe someday...

grannysewer 01-23-2013 08:27 AM

Congrats! My DD took over my 301 and will not give it back! Guess I'll just have to find me a black one.

BuzzinBumble 01-23-2013 10:50 AM

Oh you lucky Duck! What a nice thing to have happen when you were helping your Mom with something so difficult. Bet that lifted your spirits!
Hope you love your new 301A as much as I love mine!

cricket_iscute 01-23-2013 12:29 PM

Lucky you! I also thought of Black Beauty as a name.

Remember that you need to oil her every eight hours of sewing time with sewing machine oil or Tri-Flow, and nothing else!

I have two Singer 301s and they are my all-time favorite machines. Last night, I finished quilting a scrappy log cabin on "Joyboy", who is so named because he is such a joy to use. He is mocha and a long bed. My second machine was inherited from my dear friend Sandra, and she loved that machine, as do I. It is a mocha short bed in a cabinet. She is my main piecing machine. Her name is "Sandra's baby". Now what if they got together and had babies - would they be Singer 301s or Singer 221s (Featherweights)?

tenngal 01-24-2013 02:42 PM

I have a black one, too - and just love it. It's a tough machine, alright!

w7sue 01-24-2013 03:49 PM

I would love to have a 301a and a 501a, too. I keep my eyes open and was so disappointed when I missed out on a 501a on craigslist right before Christmas.

I have two featherweights and even offered to trade one for a 301a on craigslist, but didn't get an answer back.

Maura 01-24-2013 08:32 PM

I paid $300 for mine, you are so lucky! Mine is mocha and sews like a dream. I love it. It works better than my Pfaff.