Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 306K help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-306k-help-t258619.html)

Rach L. 12-23-2014 05:45 PM

My goodness....how do I thank you guys! I aligned everything as you directed Manicmike, and without your, CD's, and Kenmoregal2's input, I'd still be scratching my head. The machine is now sewing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

One more thing I've noticed, perhaps you guys know...if you don't mind me asking. The machine sews nicely, then suddenly, the tension will become very tight (I haven't touched it), so tight that the thread will break. Do any of you have an idea of what may be causing this issue and how I'd fix it? I have the tension set as loose as it will go, and it will still tighten to the point of breaking the thread. If it wasn't for this issue, I think I'd have a "new" machine.

Thanks again! I'm seriously so happy and grateful I was able to at least get this gal up and running!

-Rachael

manicmike 12-23-2014 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. (Post 7019428)
My goodness....how do I thank you guys! I aligned everything as you directed Manicmike, and without your, CD's, and Kenmoregal2's input, I'd still be scratching my head. The machine is now sewing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

One more thing I've noticed, perhaps you guys know...if you don't mind me asking. The machine sews nicely, then suddenly, the tension will become very tight (I haven't touched it), so tight that the thread will break. Do any of you have an idea of what may be causing this issue and how I'd fix it? I have the tension set as loose as it will go, and it will still tighten to the point of breaking the thread. If it wasn't for this issue, I think I'd have a "new" machine.

Thanks again! I'm seriously so happy and grateful I was able to at least get this gal up and running!

-Rachael

We're all happy to help Rachael.

Do you think we mind you asking? ;)
You need to find out where the extra tension is coming from. When it breaks a thread, pull the thread end until you can see where the problem is.
If you're lucky it will be dirty discs in the tension assembly (this is easiest to fix). Here's how to do this:
1. Put a bit of metal polish at the centre of a short length of fabric or a shoelace.
2. With no thread in it (duh) wrap this carefully in either thread path and clean it, being careful not to catch the tension spring. Repeat with the other thread path.

If there's stubborn dirt, take the assembly off and clean the discs out of the machine. Take not (or photograph) the assembly as you do it, as 99% of us forget how it came off almost immediately.

If you aren't lucky it will be catching somewhere else. We'll wait for the result of your investigation.

Mike

Rach L. 12-23-2014 07:52 PM

Do I think you mind? Maybe sometimes, LOL. I feel like sometimes my questions are so stupid that people roll their eyes and move on. Who knows! :D

I'm going to try your shoelace suggestion. I'll have to get some metal polish tomorrow. It does stick between the disks....I took a thicker, heavy duty thread and tried to slide it between the disks and it will catch, let loose, catch, etc. It's very strange, but I didn't know how to clean in there. You can see one of the disks is pretty rusty, so I'm sure you've nailed the issue again.

I'll let you know how it goes.... :)

Thank you once again!!!

Cogito 12-23-2014 08:01 PM

Woo Hoo, Mike to the rescue! Excellent troubleshooting!

manicmike 12-23-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. (Post 7019576)
Do I think you mind? Maybe sometimes, LOL. I feel like sometimes my questions are so stupid that people roll their eyes and move on. Who knows! :D
Thank you once again!!!

Well, we're all about getting machines working well, and your questions have been pretty intelligent so far.

If you push in the plastic disc with the numbers on it, it releases the screw which will then come out. Lay the bits carefully in order (and/or take photos) as you go, and you should be able to clean the existing discs then put everything back as new.
Subsequent calibration of the tension is easy too. Set it to something, allowing the positioning pin to enter the plastic number disc (which holds them together). Set it to zero, thread the machine, put the presser foot down (to engage the tension). Adjust the hole the pin is entered into until you can pull the thread with barely any resistance (it has minimal pressure). It is now ready to go, so turn it between 3 and 4 and your thread should now be quite tight.
Lift the foot, put some fabric under it and test sew.

Just a couple of notes Rachael.
Firstly, since you put the locating finger (that metal bit) back yourself, you will need to make sure the gap is right. It should not be too tight or your thread will start breaking (a full rotation of the bobbin should not see it bind at all). If the gap is too large, your bobbin case will rattle too much (they will normally rattle a little). The gap should only be large enough to allow thick thread through.
Secondly, this class of machine sometimes sees the hook timing go out. You should familiarise yourself with how to set it to factory. They have also often had the hook timing deliberately changed by some idiot who thinks this is what you do to allow 15x1 needles to be used. Result of incorrect hook timing is always a very poor quality stitch.
Thirdly, The bobbin case can be modified to allow use of 15x1. My blog (see sig) has an article on how I did this, and I haven't has a bobbin case strike so far (in several months of using the machine almost daily).
Lastly, your name. My eldest daughter's middle name is Rachael, so ask any question you like in the knowledge that I'm totally biassed :D
Mike

manicmike 12-23-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito (Post 7019593)
Woo Hoo, Mike to the rescue! Excellent troubleshooting!

Thank you :)

Rach L. 12-23-2014 09:06 PM

Ahhh, so many nice tips! I really like your step by step instructions, nice and simple for a beginner like me. I can only dream of the day I can actually give help. Thank you! I'll definitely be busy tomorrow when I get home from visiting relatives. I think I got the locating finger thing set right, I'll doubt check the width with some thick thread I have, but I was careful when I set it according to how you said last time. The thread now passes through, but the gap is small. When I work on the tension tomorrow, I'll double check it though. I will let you know how it all goes. Now....off to start (and finish) a lap throw rag quilt that I'm giving as a gift tomorrow. :shock:. I better get crackin'.

As for being biased....my husband's name is Mike, so... :)

manicmike 12-24-2014 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rach L. (Post 7019646)
Ahhh, so many nice tips! I really like your step by step instructions, nice and simple for a beginner like me. I can only dream of the day I can actually give help. Thank you! I'll definitely be busy tomorrow when I get home from visiting relatives. I think I got the locating finger thing set right, I'll doubt check the width with some thick thread I have, but I was careful when I set it according to how you said last time. The thread now passes through, but the gap is small. When I work on the tension tomorrow, I'll double check it though. I will let you know how it all goes. Now....off to start (and finish) a lap throw rag quilt that I'm giving as a gift tomorrow. :shock:. I better get crackin'.

As for being biased....my husband's name is Mike, so... :)

We've all been beginners and not long ago either: These machines are so simple it doesn't take long to learn how to fix them. I first looked inside a sewing machine only a few years ago. They're good and solid and will forgive you most times.
If the machine is passing the thread and not noisy you've installed the locating finger perfectly. Well done :thumbup:
These machines are wonderful.
Your husband must be a good man :p

KenmoreGal2 12-24-2014 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rach L. (Post 7019428)
My goodness....how do I thank you guys! I aligned everything as you directed Manicmike, and without your, CD's, and Kenmoregal2's input, I'd still be scratching my head.
-Rachael

Thanks for the shout out Rachel, but I was of no help. Just offering support and sharing my experience.

I actually think you helped yourself a great deal by including such close detailed pictures so the pros could figure out your problem. I'll bet you'll be an old hand at sewing machine repair before long.

I don't know much yet, but I know a heck of lot more now than I did 6 months ago!

Minnesewta-sam 12-24-2014 04:33 PM

Awesome folks on the QB always willing and able to help. I learn a lot from other members questions and the great feedback.