Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 306K help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-306k-help-t258619.html)

Rach L. 12-23-2014 05:55 AM

Singer 306K help

6 Attachment(s)
A few months back I picked up a 306K. I finally got around to working on it the past few days, and was beyond excited when I discovered a little hidden cubby in the cabinet and found numerous feet, extra plates, an extra light bulb!, blah blah. Ok, it was like Christmas came early.

Anyway, I got everything cleaned and oiled and went to thread this beast when I ran into my problem. When I tried to pull up the bobbin thread, the needle hits the shuttle. I took out the bobbin case, that wasn't the problem. Could this be a timing issue? I've only had that problem once, and I don't remember what that particular machine was doing to have one of you guys on here know what was wrong. Since I took out the bobbin case, I'm certain that's not the issue. I also had the correct needle size in (and facing the right way...flat side back, deep groove in needle facing me). I looked through the manual online, and I can't figure out what could be wrong. I'm still a novice with the machines (still can't get that darned Kenmore working right), so I'm hoping one of you guys might know. Any help is appreciated....as always.

I am going to post pictures...I thought maybe it would be helpful. These may not be in the order listed.

Needle in correctly
Some metal thingy I thought was in the way (not sure what it is or what it does), this wasn't the problem (needle still hits shuttle when I took it off)
One shows needle as low as it will go
Position of take up lever when needle hits
Position of take up lever at highest point

ThayerRags 12-23-2014 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is the hook turning when you turn the hand wheel?
Are you using a 206x13 needle?

CD in Oklahoma

Rach L. 12-23-2014 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The hook is not turning, and the needle is the correct size, 206x13 (a short stubby needle)

Perhaps these pictures will help....

Here you can see the needle pass to the left of that arm, and hit the shuttle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503467[/ATTACH]

A little better angle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503468[/ATTACH]

Rach L. 12-23-2014 06:38 AM

I apologize for the turned picture. I'm not sure how to rotate it.

ThayerRags 12-23-2014 07:18 AM

If the hook is not turning when you turn the hand wheel, check for a broken or missing timing belt. It’s a large cleated belt in the pillar of the machine, that runs between the upper shaft and the lower shaft.

CD in Oklahoma

ThayerRags 12-23-2014 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If the large cleated belt in the pillar of the machine looks good, check for loose or missing set screws that attach things along the lower shaft.

CD in Oklahoma

Rach L. 12-23-2014 09:22 AM

Ok, the belt is fine, and the hook is turning (I misread what you wrote, sorry), but the needle is still hitting the shuttle. Would it be helpful to post a video?

ThayerRags 12-23-2014 11:00 AM

I suggest that you download the (17mB) Singer 306 Service Manual and go through it until you find the problem.

CD in Oklahoma

KenmoreGal2 12-23-2014 12:24 PM

I had something similar happen with my Kenmore 117.841. I thought perhaps it was the timing so I ordered the service manual for instructions. While I waited for it to arrive, every day I'd play a little more - unthread and re-thread, change the needle, clean the bobbin area - etc. Mind you, I'd done all of these things many many times. But what's odd is by the time the manual arrived (about a week) all of a sudden my machine was working again. It's been many months now and it's never happened again.

I still am not sure which of the things that I did were the ones that fixed it. That bugs me.

manicmike 12-23-2014 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503501[/ATTACH]

The position finger is not in! In this pic the slot is not in the opposite position to where you want it.

Slot in question is marked 1. Rotate it clockwise until it's in position 2.
Loosen screw 3, and push it in the direction marked until the end of it is actually holding this in position.

Very important that, as CD mentioned, it is not tight. The thread must pass through the gap.