Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 31-15: How far can I go before I get myself in trouble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-31-15-how-far-can-i-go-before-i-get-myself-trouble-t271127.html)

DavidH 01-20-2016 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK Folks,

I took the pulley's off. It was easy and I learned a bit. Below there should be 2 pic's of the two pulley's where they mate. I made a good guess as to the clutch material. On the driven pulley there is a ring of leather that goes up against a stop pin (see the tip of the screwdriver) and there is a flat cast plate on the outer side of the driev pulley's. It looks like my leather ring may be a bit worn but I'm going to try to adjust it to where it works for now.

David

DavidH 01-20-2016 12:38 PM

Dried oil on both the leather ring and the cast clutch plate seems to be the reason for the clutch not wanting to disengage. Both have had a first cleaning with engine cleaner and a brass brush. Looks like they are both going to need a good cleaning in the parts washer. At least we are getting closer to getting the table back together.

David

DavidH 01-22-2016 07:11 AM

31-15 Clutch Rebuild

Restoring this clutch has been a real learning experience. You never know what you will find. In my case I found that the oil hole for the main shaft had been filled in by a mud dauber. No telling how long since it had been painted over. I got the shaft out and found a key way cut down the side with a dry leather strip and a piece of what looks like hemp under it. The shaft is a tube that was plugged at each end and when I punched out one of the plugs I found more of the hemp looking threads that looked to be covered in a gunky grease. When I put it back together I plan on using a 0.13" felt wick under the leather and 3'8" felt wick down the bore before replacing the plug. The wedge that engages the clutch has several worn areas instead of a smooth incline so I am going to mill it back smooth. I am running all the pieces through an electrolysis cleaning before repainting. When rebuilt I expect a very smooth running clutch. When a bit more of the work is done I'll have several photo's of the restore.

David

DavidH 02-01-2016 05:32 PM

I'm needing help again with my 31-15. The plug for the oil hole on the right side of the machine post is missing. I have the machines to make a plug, but I'm needing photo's of this plug to make one that at least looks like it belongs. Anyone that has a 31-15 with the plug if you would could you please post a couple pic's. Put a penny or a ruler in the picture for a good size gauge. I can use an old machinist trick to find the thread by threading a piece of soft wood into the hole and then measure the threads per inch. I just want the plug to look like the original.

Thanks in advance
David Hair

DavidH 02-13-2016 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I now have the 31-15 clutch cleaned, repaired, painted and back together ready to go on the table. I think it came out well.

David Hair

mtpockets1 02-13-2016 08:16 PM

David,
Looks great! Can't wait to hear how nice it runs.

Lisa

DavidH 02-14-2016 07:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Several of the repairs were not original. The old oil wicks that looked to be hemp I replaced with felt. The wood plug that was used as a bushing for the drive pulley.

I machined a piece of Oilite to replace it. I think the Oilite will do much better than the wood dowel.

mtpockets1 02-14-2016 09:57 AM

Really nice job! Your talents go way past mine but I sure enjoy seeing and reading the steps you have taken to get the "beast" up and running!

Lisa

DavidH 02-14-2016 12:38 PM

Lisa,

I'm a nubie when it comes to sewing machine repair and just thinking about getting into restoration of a sewing machine or two. For my work machine I just want it to run well and we have materials today that singer didn't have when my machine was made. Anyone that really does machine restoration might just give me a cold shoulder for some of the mods I make. I do like to make the machine look nice, but working good is the main thing I'm after right now.

David