Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer featherweight $200 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-featherweight-%24200-t298797.html)

Grace creates 08-09-2018 05:23 AM

singer featherweight $200

Saw a posting on local yard sale featherweight $200. Looks real nice in picture. He said can't test it because the foot petal cord is stiff. What do you all think? I know it's a good price if it works. I know replacing that wire is no big deal, but don't know if anything else is wrong with it. What should I look for? I'm no expert for sure. Thanks

Steelsewing 08-09-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 8108411)
Saw a posting on local yard sale featherweight $200. .... What should I look for?

An ATM on the way over.

The foot pedal is an easy fix/replacement. The balance wheel needs to turn 360 degrees with out any issue. It can be a -little- stiff, but not crazy difficult - or completely free.

The needle bar needs to go up and down when you spin the balance (hand) wheel 360 degrees. This would mean that the internals are at least connected and it's not locked up.

Make certain that the machine has a bobbin carrier. Bobbins themselves are cheap, replacement bobbin carriers for a FW?... not so cheap. Any bits, bobs, attachments, carry case and etc. are a plus.

Hopefully others will chime in because I'm not the FW expert. FW's are getting harder and harder to find in that price range. Usually it's 350 and up. It would help if the machine presents well. Nice paint/decals etc. =)

toverly 08-09-2018 11:22 AM

Take someone with you. I once was trying to purchase off of Craigslist and got spooked about the location. Not a good spot to show up with cash. That was here in Florida. It could have been legit but you never know.

Grace creates 08-09-2018 11:26 AM

Well I bought this for 180. he took 20 off because of the foot control really a clean shiny machine. The machine has some sort of short in the foot petal, I think. The machine just keeps running even when you take your foot off the foot petal.

Tartan 08-09-2018 11:47 AM

Not a bad price and even with buying a new foot pedal and cord.

Steelsewing 08-09-2018 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 8108582)
The machine just keeps running even when you take your foot off the foot petal.

Before you run out and buy a new pedal...it is entirely possible that the pedal wires are on the wrong terminal.

Here's a QB thread about wiring diagrams

https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/jljack-1349.html

with a very nice pic of the where the wires are supposed to go on a 221.

If the pedals wires are on the wrong posts.... it won't stop running.

Mickey2 08-09-2018 01:30 PM

Keep the foot pedal, it's a classic issue; remove the capacitor inside and it will behave again. In some cases the capacitor can be placed near the three pin plug socket on the machine. If a machine looks nice and reasonably complete I often take the chance. Wiring can be replaced, the Featherweight is notorious for freezing up; it's often just a tiny bit of thread caught in the bobbin-hook area, it's a bit fuzzy, but the area is accessable with a bit disassembling and what ever causing the freezup usually comes out with a bit of tweezer work.

Cari-in-Oly 08-09-2018 05:47 PM

Or maybe it could be that the wires inside the controller are touching. I love the button controllers. Issues with them are most often an easy fix. BTW, I've never had a machine or a controller with a capacitor in it. Not common here.

Cari

RotaryQueen 08-09-2018 05:51 PM

Agree with Cari. Archaic Arcane website has fantastic posts on fixing button controllers. I've haven't seen capacitors in (US made) one, although I have in my Berninas .

Grace creates 08-09-2018 08:36 PM

Thanks that is probably the problem. How difficult is replacing the wiring the cord is not the best.