Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: singer featherweight $200

Blog Entries

singer featherweight $200

Saw a posting on local yard sale featherweight $200. Looks real nice in picture. He said can't test it because the foot petal cord is stiff. What do you all think? I know it's a good price if it works. I know replacing that wire is no big deal, but don't know if anything else is wrong with it. What should I look for? I'm no expert for sure. Thanks
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    Saw a posting on local yard sale featherweight $200. .... What should I look for?
    An ATM on the way over.

The foot pedal is an easy fix/replacement. The balance wheel needs to turn 360 degrees with out any issue. It can be a -little- stiff, but not crazy difficult - or completely free.

The needle bar needs to go up and down when you spin the balance (hand) wheel 360 degrees. This would mean that the internals are at least connected and it's not locked up.

Make certain that the machine has a bobbin carrier. Bobbins themselves are cheap, replacement bobbin carriers for a FW?... not so cheap. Any bits, bobs, attachments, carry case and etc. are a plus.

Hopefully others will chime in because I'm not the FW expert. FW's are getting harder and harder to find in that price range. Usually it's 350 and up. It would help if the machine presents well. Nice paint/decals etc. =)
    Last edited by Steelsewing; 08-09-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Take someone with you. I once was trying to purchase off of Craigslist and got spooked about the location. Not a good spot to show up with cash. That was here in Florida. It could have been legit but you never know.

Blog Entries
    Well I bought this for 180. he took 20 off because of the foot control really a clean shiny machine. The machine has some sort of short in the foot petal, I think. The machine just keeps running even when you take your foot off the foot petal.

Power Poster
    Not a bad price and even with buying a new foot pedal and cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    The machine just keeps running even when you take your foot off the foot petal.
    Before you run out and buy a new pedal...it is entirely possible that the pedal wires are on the wrong terminal.

Here's a QB thread about wiring diagrams

https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/jljack-1349.html

with a very nice pic of the where the wires are supposed to go on a 221.

If the pedals wires are on the wrong posts.... it won't stop running.

Keep the foot pedal, it's a classic issue; remove the capacitor inside and it will behave again. In some cases the capacitor can be placed near the three pin plug socket on the machine. If a machine looks nice and reasonably complete I often take the chance. Wiring can be replaced, the Featherweight is notorious for freezing up; it's often just a tiny bit of thread caught in the bobbin-hook area, it's a bit fuzzy, but the area is accessable with a bit disassembling and what ever causing the freezup usually comes out with a bit of tweezer work.

Or maybe it could be that the wires inside the controller are touching. I love the button controllers. Issues with them are most often an easy fix. BTW, I've never had a machine or a controller with a capacitor in it. Not common here.

Cari

Agree with Cari. Archaic Arcane website has fantastic posts on fixing button controllers. I've haven't seen capacitors in (US made) one, although I have in my Berninas .

Blog Entries
    Thanks that is probably the problem. How difficult is replacing the wiring the cord is not the best.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Great deal. Around here you are lucky to get one under $500! I absolutely love my FW!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I agree with Cari and RotaryQueen. You might want to check https://archaicarcane.com/singerattheraces/ I think she also has a link on that page to another page about cleaning the foot controller. A youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTnzs1U4aA I know that after watching another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTnzs1U4aA I know that after watching a different one from "Featherweight Shop" about a hook assembly, I had a little more confidence to fix a different problem I had with a FW.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Blog Entries
    Any recommendations on a good book with good visuals to use as a guide? I don't have a dvd player to order a cd, but learn best by visuals and doing.

Congrats on your great find!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

The archaicarchane blog posts are a fantastic resource, she walks you through everything. There are replacement cords available and not expensive. My favorite parts source is Sew Classic.
    https://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-Cords_c34.htm

Cari
    Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 08-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

mac
    A friend of mine had a foot peddle that did the same thing. We were at a class and she really needed the machine. She was desperate and I have always been a curious person, so I took it appart and did something, I can't remember what, pushed something back into place (I think) and the foot pedal worked fine after that. She didn't even need to take it to a shop.

I am not suggesting that you do this, I am only letting you know that it could be a very quick fix by someone who knows something about machinery. Or if you are a 'fixer' type person and curious like me...

Mac's comments reminded me of my friend that is so good at fixing things. She said it's broke anyway, so she an't make it worse. And she usually fixes what ever she has taken apart.

Blog Entries
    Nova Montgomery's homepage (www.novamontgomery.com) has a lot of information about Singer Featherweights. She produces a newsletter and monthly tips about taking care of the machine. I just took a maintenance class from her that was excellent. She sells the new electronic foot controllers (and a lot of other accesssories) if you decide to go that route. I recommend Nova's Motor Lubricant.
    Last edited by cflykins; 08-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

I won't pay $10-$14 for a little tube of what's essentially vaseline. I don't care what the "experts" say against using vaseline, Singer and White both recommended it as a replacement for machine lube and no one has ever ruined a machine or motor with it.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    She said it's broke anyway, so she an't make it worse.
    "Can't break it any more than it is." said my friend and Necchi collector, and the reason I began fixing old machines!

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I won't pay $10-$14 for a little tube of what's essentially vaseline.
    Many experts agree, although they prolly won't have an STP earworm running around in there heads all day...

Anytime I need FW parts or advice I ask Kathy. Pretty sure she can disassemble and reassemble FWs in her sleep.

=)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    Take someone with you. I once was trying to purchase off of Craigslist and got spooked about the location. Not a good spot to show up with cash. That was here in Florida. It could have been legit but you never know.
    You are wise to be cautious, especially in FL. Our local police advertise that it's a good plan to do Craigslist business, or any similar transaction in the police parking lot. They encourage it, because they know how easily people can be taken advantage of, and even hurt. Smart girl, toverly!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

There are numerous tutorials on Youtube.com for repairing Singer foot pedals. This one is tedious, as it's so detailed, but he shows you every step. The foot pedals are all the same for the 201, 15, featherweight, 99, 400 series, 500 series and 66 (the button ones), so most all the tutorials are relevant to your situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OC79P3UWXY

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by Steelsewing View Post

, although they prolly won't have an STP earworm running around in there heads all day...

=)

sings," STP is the racer's edge"

Geee
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilenthal