Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Potted Motor converted to a treadle, HC or motor TUTORIAL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-potted-motor-converted-treadle-hc-motor-tutorial-t244545.html)

miriam 04-05-2014 04:21 AM

Singer Potted Motor converted to a treadle, HC or motor TUTORIAL

2 Attachment(s)
I have an old Singer 15 with a bad motor. Yes the chrome nose plate is black. This machine was pretty rusty when I got it. A lot has been done and there is a lot left to do. No I am not going to rewire it. I'm going to convert it to a Hand crank or treadle or maybe put a motor on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470137[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470138[/ATTACH]
Not a pretty sight. The motor does not turn. I really don't want to mess with it. There has been enough to do. Here we go.

miriam 04-05-2014 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Step ONE
Remove the balance wheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470139[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-05-2014 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See those two screws in the above photo? They hold on the motor.
Remove them...
It should look like this with out the motor:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470140[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-05-2014 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Then you will need a new belt guard and bobbin winder (I got mine from Mizkaki) It uses 2 screws to hold it on. Where the motor came off there are two holes above. It attaches there. Mine still needs the two screws and that is the hard part - finding some screws.
This is a pic from the one I turned into a HC.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470141[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-05-2014 04:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OOps I skipped the bobbin winder picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470142[/ATTACH]
Here is where it goes:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470143[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-05-2014 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can use it with out a bobbin winder and belt guard - use a spoked wheel and a HC if you like - use another machine to wind bobbins or a sidewinder.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470144[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-05-2014 04:34 AM

The screws are a problem at this point. I do know that the same screws that hold the throat plate fit the hole - they just aren't long enough. I'm working on that part but not getting very far. It may have to have new screws and then be tapped to fit the new screws. The first machine got lucky - I fished stray screws out of the miscellaneous box of screws I have laying around. But they were the only ones I had.

Let me clarify this some more. The motor mount screws you removed will NOT hold on the belt guard/bobbin winder. You will need 'new' screws of one kind or another. That will be the biggest problem doing this conversion.

You will also need a non-geared wheel - the potted motor wheel will not work anymore - well it would work but it would be nicer without a toothy grin...

miriam 04-05-2014 04:38 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470145[/ATTACH]
A pic of the HC

miriam 04-05-2014 04:40 AM

Instead of a HC it could be hooked up on a treadle - just hook on the belt and you are good to go. The machine has a motor boss. Any motor but a potted can go on the machine - just mount the motor and put on the belt and it is good to go. The HC hooks on at the motor boss - I think there are tutorials for that around.

miriam 04-05-2014 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6660774)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470145[/ATTACH]
A pic of the HC

OH oh where did it go?