Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Which Singer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-t204432.html)

Prim Quilts 10-28-2012 08:12 AM

I have a Touch and Sew model 600E and the bobbin winds in place. I got mine at a garage sale marked "Free doesn't work". My husband got it working. It has the metal gears and not the plastic ones. I brought it home without looking at it at all. I have a friend that uses it to sew on when she comes over to sew and craft, that way she doesn't have to bring her machine with her.

amyjo 10-28-2012 02:15 PM

the futura ll has a bobbing you fill in the case. it never comes out to be wound. I have one and I really like that I don't have to take it out to wind the bobbins. Mine came in a cabinet.

barny 10-28-2012 04:10 PM

I have 2 Touch and Sews, but mine was bought new by me, so I know how to handle it. I've kept it clean and oiled etc. The other was from a friend who did the same thing.

ArchaicArcane 10-28-2012 04:47 PM

I had mine from new too. Difference was my dad gave it to me when I was 10 and figured I'd learn how to use it by magic or something. :shock:

miriam 10-28-2012 04:52 PM

Ha Ha - I think you either quit sewing or become sort of a technician

ArchaicArcane 10-28-2012 05:04 PM

some cases better than technicians :) We remember the "pain" and that they can be frustrating machines even if the fault is all our own.

miriam 10-28-2012 05:09 PM

I just sold a sewing machine to a lady. Her little girl was wanting to learn to sew. I showed her how to untangle a bobbin thread by taking off the parts. I showed her how to clean it all out and put it back. The lady looked at me wide eyed. She had a machine and got rid of it because she didn't know how to do that. I showed her how to put the bobbin case in. She didn't know you have to have the lever and the needle in the up position. She commented that if she knew some of that she might not have sold her old sewing machine. Some of it is so easy yet people don't look in the manual. OSM don't take time to show people what is causing their messes. They just charge an arm and a leg, pat you on the head and smile when you have to go back.

ArchaicArcane 10-28-2012 05:13 PM

Where were you when I was growing up?? :D
Oh yeah,.. different country.

miriam 10-28-2012 05:20 PM

Well when you was growing up I was probably sitting in front of some sewing machine thinking about throwing it through the window... I should have definitely not been praying for patience. Seems like when I do I get problems so I have to learn to be more patient...

k9dancer 10-28-2012 08:01 PM

One of my students had a Touch & Swear, I mean Sew, that was really messed up. It's one of the machines that I took to Ray White's classes. Turned out, it had screws missing in the bobbin area. After fixing what was broken and a general tune up, it worked okay, but still would not be one of my favorites. And, the bobbins are hard to find. Give me a good ole' class 15 any day.