Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Small article about Singer 66 in Country Living magazine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/small-article-about-singer-66-country-living-magazine-t253972.html)

DonnaC 09-18-2014 10:06 AM

Small article about Singer 66 in Country Living magazine.

The October issue of Country Living magazine has a little column called "What Is It? What Is It Worth?" (not sure if this is a regular feature as I just happened to read the magazine). Someone wrote in and sent a picture of a Singer 66 Red-Eye that she bought on Etsy. The appraiser writes that the machine is worth $100 in its current condition, which is perfect except for the "S" in Singer being worn off because (the appraiser says) it must have been used by a professional seamstress who had a pincushion there (LOL already... because only the professionals use pincushions, right?). :) Then the appraiser says if the machine was in pristine condition, it would be worth... $1,000!

All-righty then! We are sitting on gold mines, people!! :) Somebody really needs to have a talk with that appraiser, methinks.

Cari-in-Oly 09-18-2014 11:55 AM

Now any one who reads that article will put Grandmas old Singer on CL or Ebay and think they're gonna line their pockets. Appraisers like this need to be educated but try telling one anything. I had two aunts who were antique appraisers/dealers/estate sellers and no one could tell them anything. Ha! The stories i could tell.

Cari

KenmoreRulesAll 09-18-2014 01:57 PM

They're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

This one *should* be worth a fortune. In reality, not so much.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17998212.html

Cari-in-Oly 09-18-2014 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6894381)
They're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

This one *should* be worth a fortune. In reality, not so much.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17998212.html

Did you notice the Revco reverse on it? Doubles its value. *snort*

Cari

Rodney 09-18-2014 10:26 PM

Close to home too. I would be tempted, especially because of the Revco reverse. I like stuff like the aftermarket reverses though I wouldn't pay extra for one. Usually I see those on machines that got the full repaint treatment that was popular in the 40s. The decals are better than average too. All it needs to be perfect is a Hamilton beach motor and a foot shaped controller.
Someone's going to get a good deal.
Rodney

pennycandy 09-18-2014 10:26 PM

Thanks for posting about the appraiser's opinion. It reinforces my feelings on buying "antiques". I buy them at what I think is a fair price to enjoy them, not as investments.

Cari-in-Oly 09-18-2014 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6894843)
Close to home too. I would be tempted, especially because of the Revco reverse. I like stuff like the aftermarket reverses though I wouldn't pay extra for one. Usually I see those on machines that got the full repaint treatment that was popular in the 40s. The decals are better than average too. All it needs to be perfect is a Hamilton beach motor and a foot shaped controller.
Someone's going to get a good deal.
Rodney

yep, the 66 I had was a 1916 model that got the 40s treatment with the Revco and the worst paint & decals you've ever seen. It was used up and worn out by the time I got it. I gave it away.

Cari

Sewnoma 09-19-2014 01:56 PM

A coworker of mine was asking if I could help figure out the value of an old singer that belonged to his grandmother - she's passed away and the family is going to sell it. From the description it's a pretty standard old Singer. He was thinking it had to be worth at LEAST a couple thousand dollars. He was really shocked when I told him that I don't know a lot but as far as I know, unless it's something rare or in a really nice cabinet it's probably not going to be worth more than a couple hundred bucks. I asked him to get some pictures of it and the serial number so I can try to help figure out what they have.

Cari-in-Oly 09-19-2014 02:08 PM

That 'It's a rare and valuable antique' mentality gets a huge let down every time. 'It belonged to my ___ relative" the sentimental thing gets 'em too. You know when there's a high price on a sentimental item they don't really want to get rid of it.

Cari

tessagin 09-19-2014 02:15 PM

Then again if it had so much sentimental value why would you want to get rid of it. Why bother?

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 6895715)
That 'It's a rare and valuable antique' mentality gets a huge let down every time. 'It belonged to my ___ relative" the sentimental thing gets 'em too. You know when there's a high price on a sentimental item they don't really want to get rid of it.

Cari