Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Surprising use for Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/surprising-use-featherweight-t223574.html)

happyquiltmom 06-13-2013 04:26 AM

Surprising use for Featherweight

So my husband asked me to repair the rips in the boat cover. I REALLY didn't want to drag the old, dirty thing upstairs to my sewing room. My solution? Take the Featherweight out to the front porch. I thought I would have to coax the heavy layers through the machine, but I was SO WRONG!

At one point, I had to sew through 3 layers of canvas and 2 layers of braided strapping. My little Violet whizzed right through the layers with no problem. DH was amazed at the resulting stitching. The boat cover is repaired!

They sure don't make 'em like the used to!

frudemoo 06-13-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 6119460)
At one point, I had to sew through 3 layers of canvas and 2 layers of braided strapping. My little Violet whizzed right through the layers with no problem. DH was amazed at the resulting stitching. The boat cover is repaired!

They sure don't make 'em like the used to!

That sure don't! I am really looking forward to trying out my 222K once I get her running smoothly. I can see a repair job like this in my future..... ;)

J Miller 06-13-2013 05:40 AM

Just realize you have far exceeded the intended purpose of the machine and are at the point of potential damage. Use caution and go slow, don't force the issue.

Joe

happyquiltmom 06-13-2013 07:05 AM

Oh, I did go slow...very slow indeed.

Candace 06-13-2013 07:09 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't do that again. You risk several major things going wrong and some hefty repair bills. The FW is not meant for this type of use. You can pick up another machine for the heavy duty stuff.

Monroe 06-13-2013 04:46 PM

Is the 301 reasonably capable of such a job?

DanofNJ 06-13-2013 05:12 PM

I wouldn't try this with other my my Pfaff's!

Glenda m 06-14-2013 08:47 AM

I think the 301 would come closer to handling this. I made my son's motorcycle seat with my 301 and the right needle. Although I really wouldn't want to do that again. Well, it was for his birthday. LOL

cricket_iscute 06-14-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 6120737)
Is the 301 reasonably capable of such a job?

The gear-driven Singer 301 is a better choice than the belt-driven (and therefore, less powerful) Singer 221 Featherweight. However, it is still not intended for that type of sewing. A Pfaff 130 would handle that well, as would an older Necchi, I'm betting. Sailright machines are made for that type of sewing as are the true industrial machines. (BTW, be very skeptical if a seller on e-bay says the machine is industrial.)

Wonnie 06-15-2013 08:11 AM

I've used my 1937 featherweight for sewing multiple layers of canvas as well with no problem . In fact, it sewed areas that my heavy weight sewing machine wouldn't. Don't use it for that purpose very often but it's nice to know that if I have to I can.