Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Thanks to Miriam and a suicide knob, I have a new hand crank! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/thanks-miriam-suicide-knob-i-have-new-hand-crank-t230387.html)

deplaylady 09-16-2013 12:29 PM

Thanks to Miriam and a suicide knob, I have a new hand crank!

1 Attachment(s)
I have been looking forever for a while for a way to add a hand crank to my Minnesota B. it has no machine boss, and up to now I'd been out of luck. Last week Miriam had suggested the use of a tractor steering knob ( or suicide knob) to turn the wheel. Well I went in search of one in an auto parts store and found out they were illegal for cars, but they suggested eBay. The knob came today - it wasn't the black like it was shown (or new in box either) - but it worked out pretty good. Now the Minnesota can finally be counted as a useable machine. Yay!

Mariposa 09-16-2013 01:27 PM

Nice job on the creative fix! Looks like the machine already has a cute operator too! :)

profannie 09-16-2013 04:08 PM

I'm planning too to put a suicide knob on the spoked wheel of a Singer 15 for my DD who is 4 years old. Thanks for sharing this cute picture; it encourage me to go ahead with this project!

miriam 09-17-2013 03:35 AM

The suicide knobs/steering wheel spinners are pretty easy to install. Some machines will have less space between spokes and will need a smaller knob. My DGKs love the machines I set up for them to use. As a safety precaution, I would be sure to find a finger guard to put around the needle even though it isn't fool proof. It is easier to get the eyes off the needle when they are using a hand wheel to turn the machine.

deplaylady 09-17-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6298423)
The suicide knobs/steering wheel spinners are pretty easy to install. Some machines will have less space between spokes and will need a smaller knob. My DGKs love the machines I set up for them to use. As a safety precaution, I would be sure to find a finger guard to put around the needle even though it isn't fool proof. It is easier to get the eyes off the needle when they are using a hand wheel to turn the machine.

Love those needle guards! The 127 my other DGD uses has one - this one has the needle removed until I get another one!

quiltinglady-1 09-17-2013 11:22 AM

Deplaylady, I imagined you to be a little bit older. lol Getting her started early, are ya? See's a cutie.

deplaylady 09-17-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 (Post 6299279)
Deplaylady, I imagined you to be a little bit older. lol Getting her started early, are ya? See's a cutie.

Lol - I am a bit older - well, depends on what you consider older. Grand kids keep you younger. Most days! My 5 year old DGD started making pillows when she was 2 1/2, so this this one has a few months until she actually will be allowed to attempt a seam. Maybe earlier, we'll see. She's happy to watch right now.

miriam 09-17-2013 02:52 PM

Take the needle out and let her have at it.

miriam 09-17-2013 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up of a suicide knob on a Singer 66 (redeye) The knob came from NAPA. You have to ask for a 'Tractor Steering Wheel Spinner' - they aren't legal on cars... if you have a smaller machine you may need a smaller spinner. That is one cute little girl - I would put her in my pocket and take her home.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436579[/ATTACH]

cabbagepatchkid 09-17-2013 06:57 PM

Such a good idea! How many times will the needle go up and down with one rotation of the wheel?
ETA: Your granddaughter is adorable!!!