Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is there a way of finding out how old a Jones Sewing machine is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/there-way-finding-out-how-old-jones-sewing-machine-t192136.html)

BizzieLizzie 06-18-2012 01:25 PM

Is there a way of finding out how old a Jones Sewing machine is?

5 Attachment(s)
I have found a lovely Jones machine in a charity shop. There were 2 actually, one was the Jones machine and the other was a Singer. As I already had an old Singer I thought I would have the Jones instead this time round. It is a lovely machine and is in full working condition though the shop owner could not be sure it was working and gave it to me for a £10. Could I say 'no'? Nope! Had to have it though I knew I shouldn't have, really… :o

I have been looking for information about a Jones sewing machine but have not been able to find out anything. I have tried searching on the web but have not had any joy. I seem to remember a member on QB helping another person with the same query but cannot find the QB post now. Is there anyone out there who can help? :confused:

PS. Please excuse the photos; I was too excited to notice anything else other than the machine!

BizzieLizzie 06-18-2012 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pictures…..

Charlee 06-18-2012 01:47 PM

I will look at Needlebar for you and see what I can find out, but I have to say that this machine has many of the same features as the Köhler that I'm in the process of cleaning up! My machine is post WW2, made in East Germany.... I find it interesting that so many things are the same! :)

BizzieLizzie 06-18-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5298934)
I will look at Needlebar for you and see what I can find out, but I have to say that this machine has many of the same features as the Köhler that I'm in the process of cleaning up! My machine is post WW2, made in East Germany.... I find it interesting that so many things are the same! :)

Hi Charlee,

thank you for that. I noticed the similarities between this one and the Singer as well. Though as I am not an expert (more a newbie) they seem to have all been built of really strong and heavy materials! Would be nice to see what your machine looks like when you're done. I always thought that the 'Jones' machines were all German made but was pleasantly surprised that it had 'Made in England' on it. That's one misconception that has been ironed out! :o: Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Muv 06-18-2012 02:14 PM

Great laughter here- if you hadn't already told me where you live, the newspaper gives it away!

I've been looking at Needlebar too. I can't find any pictures of one like yours.

Has this machine got a standard flat sided needle? I always steer clear of the earlier Jones machines because they take a round headed needle and aren't worth the bother if you want to use it.

I am truly shocked that you thought they were made in Germany. In fact, I think I need to lie down.

You might enjoy this site http://www.sewalot.com

BizzieLizzie 06-18-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5298996)
Great laughter here- if you hadn't already told me where you live, the newspaper gives it away!

I've been looking at Needlebar too. I can't find any pictures of one like yours.

Has this machine got a standard flat sided needle? I always steer clear of the earlier Jones machines because they take a round headed needle and aren't worth the bother if you want to use it.

I am truly shocked that you thought they were made in Germany. In fact, I think I need to lie down.

You might enjoy this site http://www.sewalot.com

Hi Muv,

:D :D :D Yes, the papers do give everything away! As mentioned, I am an absolute novice at old machines. By the way, I meant 'America' and not 'Germany' in my previous post! Must have been rather distracted by the mention of 'Germany' in Charlee's message. Reason being, I only ever heard of the Jones machine here on quilting board and assumed (incorrectly) that it was an American brand. Well, now I know better.

The machine came with a broken needle and when I removed it, it was flat on one side. I have replaced the needle with another flat sided needle and tried to sew with it and it sews perfectly. In fact, the machine has been so well maintained. I think that it used to be a hand crank machine because there is a receipt - faded through the years - which detail a work order for the motor to be fitted that is dated 1984. I am presuming that the machine is older the that possibly?

I have tried to find a list of serial numbers (like on the Singer sites) but so far have drawn a blank. Well, I am hoping someone has an idea. I am very curious about this machine….Ummmmm :confused:

Thank you for the link. :)

jennb 06-18-2012 06:22 PM

wow what a great little find! I'd love to have a Jones machine, only because that's my maiden name :)

Moon Holiday 06-19-2012 04:32 AM

OMG! Now I've gotta find myself one of these. My maternal grandmother's name was C.B. Jones... I kid you not! Guess I'll be spending my free time trying to find one. Yippee! Thanks for sharing!

Caroline S 06-19-2012 05:52 AM

​Very pretty sewing machine. It appears that it has been maintained nicely. Lucky find for you.

BarbaraSue 06-19-2012 07:03 AM

Congratulations on a very cute machine! thank you for sharing

MUV, thanks for the link. I loved the stories.