Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Thrift Shop Find Singer 401A (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/thrift-shop-find-singer-401a-t265059.html)

ontheriver 05-11-2015 04:38 AM

I have a 401 and it is my absolute favorite machine!! My moms machine broke so I am letting her use it now and I really miss it, so am looking for another one. Keep it, use it, sews great and will last forever! You got a good price, mine was 40.00 in a cabinet.

Brooke 05-11-2015 04:40 AM

Oh, lucky you! I've had one for a long time and absolutely love her. <3

psychonurse 05-11-2015 05:32 AM

wow what a great find . Please keep it for yourself.

tessagin 05-11-2015 05:49 AM

Well I paid more for mine but still feel like I got a heck of a deal. If you Google Youtube for 401 Singer Slant-O-Matic, you will see many useful videos. Save/bookmark them. You can also download the manual. Which I didn't see you have. My husband was a little upset that I bought it but tried it early the next day to repair his denim jacket. I tested 3 layers of denim and she purred like a kitten. I maintain my own machine but not before I looked over the videos quite a few times. My 401 came in a desk cabinet and still looks pretty good. Mine also came with 5 cams. You have a work horse and it's worth the more than you paid for it but you won't get another machine for the price you paid. It will even sew through leather. A very versatile machine. First thing I would do is download the manual. It's free. Lot of pages around 100 but put them into a binder and you have your manual. I did that with mine and created a maintenance page to log in when I clean, lube and oil.

Sewnoma 05-11-2015 05:56 AM

Wonderful find!! Very very lucky find, I'm envious! I "drive" a 500A - almost the same machine as far as the guts go - and it's my favorite out of a dozen different vintage and new machines that I currently own. It's just such a pleasure to sew on! If it had a wider throat it would be the ONLY machine I sewed on. And I know I paid a lot more for mine than you did for yours! I'm looking for a cabinet for it, so it can have a more primo position in my sewing room. :)

Rodney 05-11-2015 06:49 AM

Welcome aboard! I'm with the others. Yes, you can flip it and make some money but they're a great machine and you'll be sorry if you do sell it. Mine is one of the most powerful and smooth running machines I own. You would spend a lot more for a comparable new machine.
Read the manual. Better yet, keep a copy next to the machine while you use it. These machines are capable of a lot but you won't get the full benefit from them if you don't read the manual.
Rodney

Blackberry 05-11-2015 07:00 AM

WOW. What a beautiful machine and all of the goodies that came with it. And all for $35. A very good buy

crafty pat 05-11-2015 10:34 AM

I bought my 401A new in 1958 and it is my right hand. I have bought several others as back up machines but none sew like my 401A. I will never sell mine and I have been offered more than I payed for it new but I will never let it go. All I have ever had done to it is cleaning and tune ups and it still sews like a dream. It was $ 350.00 back then and that was a lot for a machine then but it has been well worth it. You are very lucky to find it and at that price.

ManiacQuilter2 05-11-2015 11:38 AM

I agree, AWESOME FIND!!

jeanharville 05-11-2015 03:53 PM

You hit pay dirt. I have my mother's 401A that she bought new in 1957 and I still sew on it. a great machine. Keep the treasure you found.