Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treaddling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treaddling-t189490.html)

winter 05-20-2012 06:22 AM

Treaddling

well so I bought my treadle (rebecca) about eight months ago cleaned her up and oiled her tried her out and works great. so what did I do I let her sit while I pieced my quilts togather on my old realible a twenty year old dressmaker. So yesterday I was sitting in my chair watching a program but really wanted to sew, then I had a lightbulb moment I could use my treaddle no noise and it sits in the front room (dauh) needless to saw I had so much fun It seems to come naturally to me could be because Rebecca is my mothers mom and she use eto have one in her house at least I'm sure she is watching over me ...................sorry for all the spelling errs.

Caroline S 05-20-2012 06:59 AM

Don't you love those "eureka moments"?

Noiseynana 05-20-2012 07:40 AM

Great idea. My little treddie sits in my hallway . :( No where else to put her. But I love her just the same. hehehe

kitsykeel 05-20-2012 10:22 AM

OK, you all have sold me. I have been on the lookout for a treadle, don't even know which model or brand, but I'll know when I see her. Love the idea of sewing while watching TV and no noise. Whoopee!!

J Miller 05-20-2012 10:38 AM

If you want quiet, don't get a treadle in a Parlor Cabinet. They magnify the noise .... A LOT.

Joe

happyquiltmom 05-20-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5230244)
If you want quiet, don't get a treadle in a Parlor Cabinet. They magnify the noise .... A LOT.

Joe

Hehe, like a big speaker, those cabinets!

Silver Needle 05-21-2012 04:16 AM

The first vintage we got was a treadle at a tag sale. I also like sewing with mine because it is quiet. It sits in front ofbthe window looking out over our yard. At night I can listen to the TV but I have to turn around to see what is happening.

Tartan 05-21-2012 05:42 AM

There's a reason I call my treadle in the cabinet "old clunky" but I love her despite the noise.

kydeb 05-21-2012 07:31 AM

I now have 3 treadles. I'm in the process of piecing a quilt on the 1914 Redeye and love it! I normally use my 1948 66 to piece but I think I'm liking the treadle even better! (I have a "modern" machine that I use for bindings, etc. - keep the walking foot on it all of the time.) There is something about not hearing a motor hum. So "piece-full!" LOL

MimiBug123 05-21-2012 08:11 AM

I have my grandmother's Singer treadle that she got when my mother was a baby in 1924. I am still trying to figure out how to work it, though. I can remember sitting in her lap when I was small and thinking about how satisfying it was to put those pieces of fabric together and come out with something useful. I wonder what she would say if she could see the one I sew on now--a Janome 10001. Bet she would still prefer "old bossy". I sure do miss my mother and my grandmother.