Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   U-20 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/u-20-a-t265756.html)

carmanmarie 05-29-2015 12:10 AM

U-20

Can you tell me the best place to buy a belt for my U-20 model 20-13

thanks for any help you can give me

Carmanmarie

manicmike 05-29-2015 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by carmanmarie (Post 7210127)

Carmanmarie

Your what? Do you mean Singer 20U?

If so, I'd cut a leather belt to size: I use them on my industrial machines.

carmanmarie 05-29-2015 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 7210128)
Your what? Do you mean Singer 20U?

If so, I'd cut a leather belt to size: I use them on my industrial machines.

Yes that is the machine I have. Bought it in 1976. It doesn't have a leather belt on it never has..

manicmike 05-30-2015 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by carmanmarie (Post 7210967)
Yes that is the machine I have. Bought it in 1976. It doesn't have a leather belt on it never has..

Your choice, but they work.

applique 05-30-2015 03:06 AM

Carmanmarie

I have two of these machines and it has been many years since I needed a belt! If memory serves I got it from AllBrand. Hope they still have them, it is still going strong and super heavy duty. I use one machine for straight stitching and the other for satin stitch. I have never found a machine to rival mine with the satin stitch.

ThayerRags 05-30-2015 05:55 AM

Carmanmarie

I use 5/16” leather belting to make my own replacement belts to fit, but probably the easiest place to find a new v-belt for your Singer 20U is at an automotive parts store. The v-belt on my Singer 20U33 has a metal “clip” adjoining the two ends similar to most leather treadle belts. Remove the old belt and take it in with you. Have the clerk select a belt with the same width and tapper of your belt, but a little longer than yours. Cut the new belt to fit, drill small holes in the ends, and install the clip. A piece of stiff wire can be used to fashion a new clip if needed.

CD in Oklahoma

carmanmarie 05-30-2015 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 7211341)
I use 5/16” leather belting to make my own replacement belts to fit, but probably the easiest place to find a new v-belt for your Singer 20U is at an automotive parts store. The v-belt on my Singer 20U33 has a metal “clip” adjoining the two ends similar to most leather treadle belts. Remove the old belt and take it in with you. Have the clerk select a belt with the same width and tapper of your belt, but a little longer than yours. Cut the new belt to fit, drill small holes in the ends, and install the clip. A piece of stiff wire can be used to fashion a new clip if needed.

CD in Oklahoma

Thank you you very much for this information. I thought I could just order a belt online and try replacing it myself. I will wait until my Son comes for another visit and show him your post. I do appreciate your help..

Carmanmarie