U-20

Old 05-29-2015, 12:10 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 119
Default U-20

Can you tell me the best place to buy a belt for my U-20 model 20-13

thanks for any help you can give me

Carmanmarie
carmanmarie is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
manicmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,850
Default

Originally Posted by carmanmarie
Can you tell me the best place to buy a belt for my U-20 model 20-13

thanks for any help you can give me

Carmanmarie
Your what? Do you mean Singer 20U?

If so, I'd cut a leather belt to size: I use them on my industrial machines.

Last edited by manicmike; 05-29-2015 at 01:07 AM.
manicmike is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by manicmike
Your what? Do you mean Singer 20U?

If so, I'd cut a leather belt to size: I use them on my industrial machines.

Yes that is the machine I have. Bought it in 1976. It doesn't have a leather belt on it never has..
carmanmarie is offline  
Old 05-30-2015, 01:23 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
manicmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,850
Default

Originally Posted by carmanmarie
Yes that is the machine I have. Bought it in 1976. It doesn't have a leather belt on it never has..
Your choice, but they work.
manicmike is offline  
Old 05-30-2015, 03:06 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
applique's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 1,507
Default

Originally Posted by carmanmarie
Can you tell me the best place to buy a belt for my U-20 model 20-13

thanks for any help you can give me

Carmanmarie
I have two of these machines and it has been many years since I needed a belt! If memory serves I got it from AllBrand. Hope they still have them, it is still going strong and super heavy duty. I use one machine for straight stitching and the other for satin stitch. I have never found a machine to rival mine with the satin stitch.
applique is offline  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:55 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
ThayerRags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Frederick, OK
Posts: 2,031
Default

Originally Posted by carmanmarie
Can you tell me the best place to buy a belt for my U-20 model 20-13
Carmanmarie
I use 5/16” leather belting to make my own replacement belts to fit, but probably the easiest place to find a new v-belt for your Singer 20U is at an automotive parts store. The v-belt on my Singer 20U33 has a metal “clip” adjoining the two ends similar to most leather treadle belts. Remove the old belt and take it in with you. Have the clerk select a belt with the same width and tapper of your belt, but a little longer than yours. Cut the new belt to fit, drill small holes in the ends, and install the clip. A piece of stiff wire can be used to fashion a new clip if needed.

CD in Oklahoma
ThayerRags is offline  
Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I use 5/16” leather belting to make my own replacement belts to fit, but probably the easiest place to find a new v-belt for your Singer 20U is at an automotive parts store. The v-belt on my Singer 20U33 has a metal “clip” adjoining the two ends similar to most leather treadle belts. Remove the old belt and take it in with you. Have the clerk select a belt with the same width and tapper of your belt, but a little longer than yours. Cut the new belt to fit, drill small holes in the ends, and install the clip. A piece of stiff wire can be used to fashion a new clip if needed.

CD in Oklahoma
Thank you you very much for this information. I thought I could just order a belt online and try replacing it myself. I will wait until my Son comes for another visit and show him your post. I do appreciate your help..

Carmanmarie
carmanmarie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter