Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   A very unusual weekend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/very-unusual-weekend-t244341.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 04-01-2014 09:07 PM

A very unusual weekend

Last year I discovered the joy of working on vintage sewing machines. It's a passion that hit really hard and I am having a blast finding them cleaning them and fixing them. Each one is a unique challenge and I am far from an expert but as a hobby I am enjoying it very much! I think it's a combination of the nostalgia, the solving puzzles, the precision, the research and taking something that isn't usable and giving it new life. Really, only a few people locally know about my hobby and that is because they run into me at garage sales and we chat. They always say "hey, if I see one, I'll give you a call!"

So last Friday I got a call from my dentist's receptionist and she was talking to a guy who's father just passed away recently. He was going through his things and he finds that his dad was into vintage sewing machines in a big way. As the story is told to me..the son just wants to get rid of them and would charge 5-10 dollars apiece. "He has manuals, spare parts, some in plastic cases..". Then she gives me his number.

So..I call the guy and offer my condolences, tell him how I got his number and I am interested, says he will meet me at 10:00 am Saturday so I can see them. He says there must be 20 of them! 6 or 7 treadles. Some are working..he has lots of spare parts.. I wonder if they are letting any tools and supplies go too? I could maybe stock up on things I need!

I'm thinking, maybe there is a Featherweight!

Mrs. SewNSew 04-01-2014 09:22 PM

I tossed and turned all night wondering what sort of prize I might find!

So I get there Saturday and the garage is open and there are sewing machines everywhere. It's a double room garage, kinda dark and moist and garage-y. It's hard moving through the space because there is just so much stuff. Machines are under shelves on the floor, in tables, in cases on shelves, stacked and packed into corners. It was a case of the family wanted them ALL to go. They weren't really up to me peeking through everything and really there was too much to see. I could tell there were AT LEAST 20. So he shoots me a figure on the whole lot. Whoa. :shock:

I tried to negotiate for all the loose and boxed machines, maybe a treadle. I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly fit it all in my garage? The man is less than thrilled, they really want them all gone, but the packing begins. Hubby has a small trailer. As we are unloading the machines into our garage hubby says just take it all. He starts making room...

Can you see where this is going? :D

My garage is packed. It will take weeks to sort it all out. I have not even seen it all. There are tables and treadles and machines and cabinets with accessories and spare parts and even a couple sewing baskets!

It's only been 3 days so I am still just trying to let the shock settle in. It was such a bizarre and unique situation where I had to make a decision. I believe I made the right one but I am still coming to terms with it!

Rodney 04-01-2014 11:04 PM

Congrats on your brand new shiny double edged sword! I hope you got some good finds in there, it sounds like just a bit too much of a good thing at the moment.
Rodney

foufymaus 04-01-2014 11:46 PM

Congrats! Post lots of pics! ;)

liking quilting 04-02-2014 03:04 AM

We'll be waiting to see this story unfold. Anxious to see photos of your new treasures!

ThayerRags 04-02-2014 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations! I bought one of those “All Or None” sewing machine collections back in October 2009. It was a 20-foot container full of machines on shelves around three sides and the floor full of cabinets. I couldn’t get into the container to see what all was there. I was only able to stand at the doorway on my tiptoes to see what I could from there.

It took me 7 trips with a full-sized pickup (8-ft bed) and camper shell to haul them all home. I used plywood to “layer” two levels of them for a couple of loads. At the end, I used (and filled) an 18-foot carhauler trailer for the last load of scrapped treadle cabinets that were in a separate shed that the seller threw in for nothing.

Turned out to be 217 machine heads and 32 cabinets in the bunch. It sure got me into the vintage sewing machine business in a big way!

CD in Oklahoma

Prim Quilts 04-02-2014 03:41 AM

How awesome. I can't wait to hear what all you got.

Macybaby 04-02-2014 04:24 AM

Well, when you get it all sorted out - I'm still looking for a Demorest, Florence and an early Eldredge made before they became National. Or any other top clamp machine I've not see before . . .

Sounds like a happy find - and post pictures of attachments if you want help figuring them out.

Mrs. SewNSew 04-02-2014 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am laughing this morning. I admit it is a lot of machines, but NOT 217! WOW!

Hubby counted 39. As I look through them it has been fun to see just what is hiding in the boxes. There really was no time to see what we were hauling out Saturday. We have a 5 x 8' trailer and it was 3 loads. I ended up with 6 tables and 9 treadles and they look to be in pretty good shape for the most part! I'll throw a couple on the list to re-finish this Summer. The sewing machines are mostly black Singers, with some other goodies thrown in. I am trying to quickly photo document everything just to have an idea of what I brought home. I have already taken a shine to a lovely green Singer 15. Come to me my preciousss. :p

minibarn 04-02-2014 05:10 AM

How fun!!! Can't wait to see more pics. And, I agree 217 WOW CD you had your work cut out for you.

JP