Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   A very unusual weekend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/very-unusual-weekend-t244341.html)

miriam 04-02-2014 05:12 AM

I did that a couple years ago, too. I think I got 63 or so and most of them had cabinets. I think all but a couple actually were made to work! Well there may be a couple I haven't done much with so the jury is still out on those.

NikkiLu 04-02-2014 05:24 AM

WOW - that is what I dream about!!! No kidding - when I am having trouble going to sleep I make up a scenario just like you are going through. A whole garage full of sewing machines (or fabric) is going to be mine. Before I am done looking through it, I am asleep - LOL

soman2 04-02-2014 05:24 AM

Well, Well, is that the pit's. I have to drive 5000 miles round trip in June to pick up one Standard treadle w/ cabinet and CD and Mrs. SewNsew have cornered the market on all the older machines. I think this may be illegal. Remember when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market back in the day, well folks, I think we have a similar situation here and now I know the reason for the shortage of vintage/antique machines!! lol really LOL.

Rodney in Ponchtoula, La.

PS-These are 2 spectular finds and I wish that I could be so lucky. You were at the right place at the right time.

Mrs. SewNSew 04-02-2014 05:33 AM

Ohh Rodney, 5000 miles?? That's a drive! That's a fear for me, these treadles don't fit in a mailer lol! Hopefully there will be people close enough to drive that want them once they are ready for new homes!

Honestly it wasn't all part of a dastardly plan! It took me quite by surprise! Day one, I couldn't even think straight, Day two I was overwhelmed but the amount of work that lay before me. But now on day four I am realizing there are all mine to sell or to keep! Eeeeee! ;) I can't wait to get a treadle working and give it a try. I've never used one before.

Mariposa 04-02-2014 05:39 AM

Wow! Sounds like you will be busy for a while! Looking forward to seeing more pics! :)

ThayerRags 04-02-2014 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6656598)
Hubby counted 39.....6 tables and 9 treadles.....trying to quickly photo document everything....

39 is a good bunch of machines. I didn’t have a garage, so I had to rent two rental units to put them in to sort, document, and photograph them. I shot 5 photos of each one. That took some time, and not all of my photos were that good because I got tired and started hurrying things.

I had a few people come by and pick some out while I still had them there, and then I had to “make space” to store them at our shop and home, stuffed into every nook and cranny that I could come up with. I gave a few of them away at TOGAs to help pay for those events, and parted-out a couple of dozen of the worst ones.

I think that the part that I enjoyed the most was what you mentioned. Finding out what was in all of those cabinets and cases! It was like opening birthday presents!

CD in Oklahoma

amcatanzaro 04-02-2014 05:59 AM

A green 15! That's exciting!

Mrs. SewNSew 04-02-2014 06:14 AM

CD what is TOGA? You are the second person I have heard that from recently. Thanks for that last photo! Geez! Where was my head? I can put some of them under the cabinets to save on space! Right now I have mousetraps under the cabinets to be extra sure I haven't adopted any new pets!

Mrs. SewNSew 04-02-2014 06:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more. A Pink Atlas and a Portman. The "Portman" is an unusual little machine. It' looks like a miniature of the Elna Grasshopper.

SteveH 04-02-2014 06:54 AM

this is going to be one of my favorite threads to follow for a while... too cool!