Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-japanese-badged-zig-zag-straight-sew-sewing-machines-t207877.html)

leonf 07-23-2018 07:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up a Federal straight stitch 15 clone this weekend. The only thing notable about is was accessories that look like they have never been used. That and the deadly power cord. I haven't played with it yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598263[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598264[/ATTACH]

OurWorkbench 07-23-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8098921)
I picked up a Federal straight stitch 15 clone this weekend. The only thing notable about is was accessories that look like they have never been used.

Nice. I don't see the adapter that is needed for the hemmers, binder and edge stitcher, unless it is in the upper left corner, turned so I can't tell for sure.

Nice looking oil tin, too -- IF the nozzle stays on.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

leonf 07-23-2018 02:09 PM

Oil can looked brand new. Even had a washer with it. I have a lot to learn about attachments.

leonf 07-23-2018 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did anyone else notice the face under the helmet on the left? Ok, I know I'm twisted...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598296[/ATTACH]

jillmc 07-27-2018 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have just scrolled through the pages of this thread.....so many pretty machines!
I rescued this girl while digging through piles at a barn sale last year, maybe 2 years ago....I have learned so much here-thanks for sharing so much info! After taking her apart and cleaning, and oiling, she now stitches beautifully! My 8 yr old grand daughter wants to sew with me, so this machine will be hers. Maybe! I love the teal color.
Anywhooooo....any suggestions on finding a carrying case top? I think this one is beyond repair. I have scrubbed and scrubbed. Can I recover it? I have done some googling, and cannot find anything for sale....probably not searching with correct terms.

Cari-in-Oly 07-27-2018 08:10 PM

That's a pretty one, I love the two toned clones. As for the case, lots of people strip, repair and recover the wood cases with Tolex, heavy vinyl, fabric, or even decoupage with paper. I'm not a big fan of most that I see but it's your case, do what makes you happy.

Cari

IrisIrene 07-28-2018 05:36 AM

Or buy another machine that has a case it will fit, use the top for this one and sew up a cover for the new one. Then you get to play with another machine.

Steelsewing 07-28-2018 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One fine spring day last year I answered a local ad. The gentleman was cleaning out his garage and had this old sewing machine. So I brought it home, cleaned it up, and had it purring along by the end of the week. Then my friend Greg stopped by. He has the same VSM affliction and it's always a highly entertaining visit as we compare adventures. He reaches into his truck and pulls out a box full of machine stuff to trade, and asks me if I had any idea what kind of machine might take this funky little cam set...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598511[/ATTACH]

That's them in the right bottom corner -----------------------^

The machine is a White model 3354 and it's easier to find the Remington branded twin.

John Sand 08-01-2018 04:18 AM

Hi, great thread. I own a Stradivaro 139 DeLuxe ZigZag. It's blue and white, works well, cost me $5 at a yard sale some years ago. I use it for repairing sails and making covers for my boat. I believe it dates to about 1962. "Stradivaro" was here on Long Island, and took pains to conceal the origin of the machine. There is a sticker over the part of the nameplate that says "Made in Japan", and the same print underneath is scratched nearly off. The machine has a matching case, and even originally had a blue belt. All of it's feaures work, but it lacks the power to punch through thick sailcloth. Pushing it to do so has caused the clutch to slip occasionally. Recently I cleaned the clutch plate which helped.

Cari-in-Oly 08-01-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by John Sand (Post 8103824)
Hi, great thread. I own a Stradivaro 139 DeLuxe ZigZag. It's blue and white, works well, cost me $5 at a yard sale some years ago. I use it for repairing sails and making covers for my boat. I believe it dates to about 1962. "Stradivaro" was here on Long Island, and took pains to conceal the origin of the machine. There is a sticker over the part of the nameplate that says "Made in Japan", and the same print underneath is scratched nearly off. The machine has a matching case, and even originally had a blue belt. All of it's feaures work, but it lacks the power to punch through thick sailcloth. Pushing it to do so has caused the clutch to slip occasionally. Recently I cleaned the clutch plate which helped.

Hi, and welcome to QB. Yeah, pushing a domestic household machine beyond its intended use is a good way to wear it out before its time. This machine really wasn't built for what you use it for.

Cari