Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-japanese-badged-zig-zag-straight-sew-sewing-machines-t207877.html)

John Sand 08-01-2018 02:57 PM

Thanks Cari. I hope to get a stronger machine for sail work. The covers I'm making now aren't too heavy, the cloth is lighter than my denim jeans. Ideally I'll find a used industrial walking foot that won't break the bank.

Steelsewing 08-01-2018 03:10 PM

There are a rare few domestic machines that can take to sail sewing and keep going. If you're just going straight ahead and back, then The Pfaff 30, or the 130 for ZZ. The Necchi BU, Nova or Mira models from '48 to 52 are also 'said to be' favorites of sail makers. Before you go for the bank-breaker industrial there's always the 'domestic on steroids' Thompson Mini. Even then though the Mini seems to be holding more resale value than many older industrial machines. Industrials have been coming down in price. I've seen more of them for sale this summer than ever before. The Stradivaro was a very well built and robust machine for it's day. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's refusing to quit. =)

Cari-in-Oly 08-01-2018 04:12 PM

I agree that those machines will do the job, but then again, for how long til they're worn out? I live up on Puget Sound and have had a BU come through my hands that was worn out from sail making. Though to be fair, who knows how many years it was fed this diet? It could've been many years.
I also agree that low cost industrials can be found if you're patient and know what you're looking for. My Consew mini walker was brand new and cost me less than 2 fast food meals. I dropped it on its back before I got to use it.:(

Cari

John Sand 08-01-2018 05:22 PM

Thanks Steel.
I'm in a position where I can pay big bucks for someone else to do the work, or do it myself with what I have. I was quoted $1900 for the three covers I needed for the boat. I'm doing it myself for about $250. Even if I threw out all of my machines when I was finished, I'd still be way ahead.
I downloaded a maintenance manual for the Pfaffs (230&332) and I'm talking to a repairman who urges me not to use them for heavy work. I admire the Stradivaro and don't want to wear it out, but if I do it owes me nothing. I'll buy another mid century machine for <$50 and carry on. Meanwhile I am searching for a good used walking foot commercial machine that will do all my canvas work. I'll keep my eyes open for a Thompson, or a Singer 111.
I looked at "Rex" Chinese machines on Amazon, reviews are all over.
I do love the intricate precision of these old machines, stuff like that fascinates me.

Cari-in-Oly 08-01-2018 10:51 PM

Don't bother with the Rex. It's junk.

Cari

John Sand 08-02-2018 04:14 AM

Thank you, I suspected as much.

Farmhousesewer 08-03-2018 10:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMpzMv3jK40

The Rex like my Chandler is not junk. Made by Nakajima. Assume you are speaking of the new one.
Please don't intentionally wear out a good machine just because it is inexpensive. Many used industrial machines are out there.

Gvandell 08-07-2018 09:26 AM

I have a portable Midwest sewing machine that was handed down to me. She had it since I can remember. I have to dig it out from a storage area we have, but wanted to get an idea of its value. It has two boxes of attachments under the machine, which tips back for storage of sewing threads, needles, spools, etc. it is in absolutely pristine condition, as it wasn’t used by my mother very much, and I haven’t used it since the 70s. Here’s the cool part: the plate on this black machine says ‘Made in Occupied Japan’ on the arm of the machine. I will get pictures of everything as soon as I can, but I’m having a defibrillator/pacemaker ‘installed’ Thursday, Aug.9. I sure would appreciate a ballpark idea on this, should anybody have one! My name is Greg. Reply here, or send me a text to 720.363.2566, or even call! We’re all friends here, right? 😁

Cari-in-Oly 08-07-2018 09:27 PM

A picture of the machine would really help, but I'm going to assume since it's an Occupied Japan machine that it's a common 15 class clone.
Here's the good news - Most of the Japanese clones are good strong machines that will sew a bumper on a Buick with the sweetest straight stitch you'll ever see.

Here's the bad news - They're usually not worth much. Millions of them were imported to the US and most are still sewing away. Supply and demand, there's lots of them so..................
Machines from Occupied Japan were some of the first things imported after WWII, so that means roughly '47 to '51 or '52. I have one, badged 'Elite', that came with lots of fiddly bits like yours. I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much as it was about 10 years ago and I was buying anything that was cheap back then.
If you manage to find the right buyer, someone who loves Occupied Japan stuff, you may get more for it but clones in my area tend to just sit if they're priced over $50, and that's even the colored ones(which will always bring more than a black one).

Cari

Steelsewing 08-08-2018 04:58 AM

If it wasn't for the "occupied" part I would have suggested National since they produced machines with over a hundred different labels. I'm going to have to agree with Cari here, and a pic would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 8107772)
...and I was buying anything that was cheap back then.

I knew there was a reason we got along... (my most recent machine cost 10 bucks)