Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have a free "Free" too. Serial #0240726, patent dates June 14 1910 Oct 10 1911, I hope that helps for dating.

I haven't used mine since I need to find the little ball bearings for the pitman rod.

Monica, this is interesting. So far

Playswithcolor has 031503 Free #5 bought at end of WW1 1918 or 1919?

Monica's Free 0240726 - is it a Free # 5?

Nana's Free 827313 - is it a Free #5?

My friend Deb's Free #5 - C76088

My Free #5 - C83642

Do you all have the Free #5? Does anyone else have one with pending patent dates written on the cabinet top?

Does anyone have a Free with patent dates on the slide plate? If so, what are the dates?

Nancy

Please make sure I have the correct serial numbers. I want to try and figure out why two of the serial number start with 'C'? Something to do with patent's still pending on those machines or a different factory?

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by playswithcolor

Some of the decals on mine changed from gold to silver - especially on the bed of the head. These were really worn, so maybe the couldn't handle the cleaner I used? I only tried cleaning stuff that a sister who collects vintage machines suggested.

My cabinet has the curved treadle cabinet with drawers.

Yes, that is what happens if you go over the decals with any cleaner - they silver. When you actually start using this machine, you will love it! My Free is now my favorite piecing machine!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Ok, I am going to try to add photos of my "new" machine. I am using the craigslist photos since my camera died. Hope this works.

Wow, very nice machine! I love the way the base is shaped with the back corners shaved off!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I bought a treadle last night. The plate says "Domestic" S.M. Co
Pat. May 19 1863
Nov. 15 1864
Jan. 31 1871
NEW YORK
Under that is:

It has a requtangluar bed. Any guesses? Coffin lid has a chunk of wood missing but the drawers are there. So of the pearl inlay is missing.

Ok Dirtymom, here is a link to some information on your machine. http://www.ismacs.net/domestic/home.html
I didn't realize that Domestic was an actual company because there are so many machines called 'domestic.' Anyway, there was a Domestic Sewing Machine Co that started making machines before 1869, but the machines didn't say Domestic until 1869. Domestic was in business until 1924 when White bought them out. I have been confused on your serial number since you posted it because on the White dating site, your number does not fit in! I understand why now -- your machine is not a badged White, but a Domestic!

Again beautiful machine and cabinet!

Nancy

cabbagepatchkid 03-09-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys, I finally got my Free treadle in the house. Had to put this one behind the sofa in the entry. I am sorry the cabinet photos didn't come out real clear.

I moved my 15-88 into my sewing room! Yippeeeeeee! I finally made the commitment to have a treadle in the sewing room -- they are all over the house -- except the sewing room!

Nancy

oh my. The decals on yours look so perfect. I love the peacock decal.

Some of the decals on mine changed from gold to silver - especially on the bed of the head. These were really worn, so maybe the couldn't handle the cleaner I used? I only tried cleaning stuff that a sister who collects vintage machines suggested.

My cabinet has the curved treadle cabinet with drawers.

Hi...welcome to the forum. Do you have any pictures that you can share? :-D Sorry to hear about your decals changing color :-( I recently bought a Singer model #66 and the decals were silver. Doesn't matter, in the end, as long as you can sew on it.

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:41 AM

Monica what page is the picture of your Free posted here?

Nancy

playswithcolor 03-09-2011 06:45 AM

Do you all have the Free #5? Does anyone else have one with pending patent dates written on the cabinet top?

Does anyone have a Free with patent dates on the slide plate? If so, what are the dates?

Nancy

ok I just looked at the slide plate. It says Patented Feb 11-02,
Oct 17- 05, July 30-07, Sept 15-08, Dec 21-09, Jan 4-10 and states other patents pending.

These patent dates are pretty consistent with when I was told it was purchased using ww1 war bonus.

Serial number 031503 no letter prefix on serial #

Hope this info helps with dating your machine.

BoJangles 03-09-2011 06:49 AM

ok I just looked at the slide plate. It says Patented Feb 11-02,
Oct 17- 05, July 30-07, Sept 15-08, Dec 21-09, Jan 4-10 and states other patents pending.

These patent dates are pretty consistent with when I was told it was purchased using ww1 war bonus.

Serial number 031503 no letter prefix on serial #

Hope this info helps with dating your machine.

Ok, if your machine was bought brand new at the end of WW1, that would make your machine a 1918 or 1919 model. That is a start, but I can't figure out why 2 of the machines have a 'c' in front the the serial number?

Can you post a picture of yours or did I miss the picture?

Nancy

Crossstitcher 03-09-2011 06:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have a free "Free" too. Serial #0240726, patent dates June 14 1910 Oct 10 1911, I hope that helps for dating.

I haven't used mine since I need to find the little ball bearings for the pitman rod.

Monica, this is interesting. So far

Playswithcolor has 031503 Free #5 bought at end of WW1 1918 or 1919?

Monica's Free 0240726 - is it a Free # 5?

Nana's Free 827313 - is it a Free #5?

My friend Deb's Free #5 - C76088

My Free #5 - C83642

Nancy

Please make sure I have the correct serial numbers. I want to try and figure out why two of the serial number start with 'C'? Something to do with patent's still pending on those machines or a different factory?

Nancy I have three Free Machines, one treadle and one electric.
The treadle serial number is 873674 the patent numbers go from June 11, 1902 thru Jan. 4, 1910.
The electric is a number 8 CE53077 Last patent Feb. 11, 1902 thru May 20, 1913
One is in a parlor cabinet. It's covered up right now and I can't get the number from it but here is a picture.

free machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124675[/ATTACH]

parlor cabinet for the free machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125048[/ATTACH]

cabinet closed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125362[/ATTACH]

playswithcolor 03-09-2011 06:59 AM

I will take its photo and get it posted. I have a new computer and need to load photo software first.

I forgot to share that ISMACS has the manual for the Free No 5 on line. It is 22 pages. It printed out nicely- fairly clear and readable. A couple of the diagrams are iffy- the #s of the parts are difficult to read.

The manual is a hoot to read. It says in numerous places to use quality thread, quality needles, quality sewing machine oil, and warns against letting a handy man or someone who sells other brands of machines make adjustments or repairs.

It shows a picture of the needle length it uses but I didn't see any kind of # or needle size. I need to read a little more to see if I can find it.