Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 05-28-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Charlee, what would you recommend for getting strong, strong cigarette smoke out of a wood sewing cabinet?

It made our van reek just bringing it home. It's in the garage till I get it odor-free. Really anxious to bring it in sew I can use my machine.

The cabinet and machine are most likely coated with smoke...Murphy's Oil Soap is what I use the most....wipe and wash the finished surfaces until you come back with a clean rag instead of the brown of tobacco and nicotine. You may still have some that has soaked into the unfinished woods, and for that I'd do the wash, and then set it out in the sunshine on nice days until you can't smell it anymore. It's one of those things that just really doesn't go away easily....you might also try some commercial odor eliminator...just spray on the unfinished parts of the cabinet...be careful not to get it on the finish, I'm not sure what that would do to it.

I'm a smoker, but I learned a long time ago what smoke does to nice things and quit smoking inside the house or car! Some things that were special to me were ruined before I learned that lesson tho....~sigh~

SewExtremeSeams 05-28-2011 07:58 PM

Thank you Charlee for your help with smoke odor. I will try that tomorrow. :-D

cherrybsixty 05-29-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Judy you are to funny. :-D The clutch purses is also Nancy's. These responses are hard to tell who said what. Have a wonderful evening. Kathie

Kathie did a clutch purse at Girls Night Out along with most of the people there! I was too busy trying to fix a FW so I didn't get to sew, but that was a good thing! Anyway, I now have my clutch purse, which I made using only my Model 127 Sphinx treadle! That was interesting, as the little purse had to have several seams 'locked' as this was not just piecing like a quilt! I learned to screw that stitch regulator all the way out to sew in place - I can't do it fast like when you are nearing the end of the seam -- so I got a few places with thread balls -- but the seams are locked and the purse should hold up! I am pretty proud of the fact that the purse is made exclusively using a treadle! It would have been much easier to make something like the purse by sneaking in and using one of my electric machines with reverse!

Nancy

I got behind in my reading and been trying to play catch-up. Nancy, the purse it really pretty.

BoJangles 05-29-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
I'm a proud owner of a FW today,I've read every post and love seeing all the machines and the knowledge that you all have!My FW came in a wood round top case #AC613069 knee lever no foot pedal,other New home treadle in cabinet all the way to floor enclesed and treadle inside #4134573 theres a grayhound or something on bed of machine.any info would greatly be appreciated.My fiance'is having a ball getting these machines and cleaning per billys inst.Fun bullet type bobbins on both

Hello Minnesota Newbie! Your FW I see is a 128 with a bentwood case. Your New Home was made in 1924 according to ISMACS. The New Homes with serial numbers between 4,110,869 and 4,176,527 are all 1924 models! Those are both very nice machines!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-29-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
I got behind in my reading and been trying to play catch-up. Nancy, the purse it really pretty.

Thank you Cherry!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-29-2011 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I still would not give up my 66-1 for anything but the FW wins out on camping trips. Glenn

Glenn you said your 66-1 and I remember someone saying that they had a 66-6. I have a 66, how can you tell the difference between and how can you tell what the third number is? Kathie

Kathie the 66-1's were made between 1902 and 1906, have back clamping feet and are treadles.

The 66-6's were made between 1921 and 1931 with side clamping feet and are electric.

There was also a 66-3, hand crank, back clamping and a 66-4 - side clamping treadle. Also, a 66-5 - side clamping hand crank.

The 66-8 thru 66-24 are all side clamping and starting with the 66-14 they had reverse too. I had a chance to get 2 different 66-16's at different yard sales this weekend and passed on both of them. They were both electric of course, very nice - both had all the attachments and manual. I wish I'd of picked one up, but I didn't want another electric 66, I already have a 66-6 I saved! Although, it would be nice to have a 66 with reverse!~

Nancy

BoJangles 05-29-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
I did just try FMQ with her... the FD dropped, but the fabric would not move... what am I having a DUH moment about, what did I overlook? I tried to move the fabric, to no avail, so it bound my top thread and snapped it. Ok, rethread... no prob... tried regular sewing again, that's fine... FMQ again, same thing. ???

Oh, I THINK I have the top threaded right... if I post a pic, will that help? Could not see the instrux online, kept freezing my browser... so I guessed. Regular stitching works fine, I hand-cranked her before applying the power LOL.

I can't tell the threading by your picture, but I see Monica sent a diagram of the threading path.

Remember, when you FMQ you need a darning/hopping foot. I bought two of them, one is plastic one is metal. I like the metal darning foot the best. You can't FMQ with a straight stitch foot - it will interfere with the movement of free motion. You should also put your stitch regulator in the neutral position so it doesn't go forward nor backward. In otherwords, you won't have a stitch length anymore because you determine the stitch length when FMQting. Also, make sure those feed dogs are lowered and sometimes you have to loosen the thread tension so the thread will flow freely.

Remember, the fabric will not move once you lower those feed dogs - you become the feed dogs. Free motion quilting takes some practice - I'd get a couple fat quarters and some batting scraps and make a quilt sandwhich to practice on. You need to learn to move that fabric slowly and smoothly to keep from breaking thread or causing a long running stitch from moving the quilt too fast. It sounds to me like the machine is doing ok, but maybe you are moving too fast, too slow or something?
Let us know how you do!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-29-2011 08:34 AM

Here is a link to some history of the very early Wheeler and Wilson # 3. Kathie sent it to me and I thought you guys would also enjoy reading this. Scroll down and read about the history of the #3 -- Wheeler and Wilson were the first to make 'round' bobbins, and according to this article the first to make 'feed dogs.' Pretty interesting!
Thank you Kathie! Enjoy!
http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

Nancy

Minnesota newbie 05-29-2011 08:37 AM

Thank you so much for info,I really appreciate it. Not great on computer. I feel better now that I know there good machines.

vintagemotif 05-29-2011 09:30 AM

This is kind of off topic, but at the same time it is topic.

So, how many of you while researching info on vintage machines and usage of vintage machines start folders of the google sites that you found helpful? And how many of you find that you can't find the info that you bookmarked when you are looking for the info to help others? So, you have to just google again. Or when you do recall the bookmarked site where the info is located, you find the site is no longer up; so, you have to google again.

It's so easy to find oneself in the state of confusion while searching through bookmarks.

Time for me to delete bookmarks and organize folders, or just google for the information in the first place.

:? :roll: