Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SewExtremeSeams 06-25-2011 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Okay, I'm blaming you guys on my latest find.

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)

Very cool 401. You sure stole it for $10!

Where did you find the serial number?

The 401 that I picked up yesterday is still in the car but as I was purchasing it, I couldn't find the serial number. I think I may have to take the bottom screws off or something. :-D :thumbup:

Yes, you have to take the bottom off. The serial number is found on the bottom left. I'm still cleaning the machine up.
This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D

Howdy! Ok, I have looked and looked and I can't figure out where the serial number is. I am looking for two letters that precede 6 digits, right?. On the front of the machine it does say it is a 401A, so that much I know. But, I wanted to know which year it was commissioned.

All I can find are 3 places that have a six digits (refer to photos). They seem to be part numbers. Where did you find your serial number? It must be hiding from us. We have both looked with a magnifying glass that has a light on it. Our 4 eyes are not working! LOL

Lostn51 06-25-2011 06:51 PM

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)

Very cool 401. You sure stole it for $10!

The 401 that I picked up yesterday is still in the car but as I was purchasing it, I couldn't find the serial number. I think I may have to take the bottom screws off or something. :-D :thumbup:

Yes, you have to take the bottom off. The serial number is found on the bottom left. I'm still cleaning the machine up.
This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D

Howdy! Ok, I have looked and looked and I can't figure out where the serial number is. I am looking for two letters that precede 6 digits, right?. On the front of the machine it does say it is a 401A, so that much I know. But, I wanted to know which year it was commissioned.

All I can find are 3 places that have a six digits (refer to photos). They seem to be part numbers. Where did you find your serial number? It must be hiding from us. We have both looked with a magnifying glass that has a light on it. Our 4 eyes are not working! LOL

Look under the edge of the bed on the ribby part it will be towards the bobbin area if I am right.

Billy

Lostn51 06-25-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Nope, you're right. I just went and took mine out to make sure, and now I have to put it back in. Dang!! At least it's not a needle that's too hard to find.

Rats I was hoping I was wrong on this one, but like you said they are not impossible to find. I believe I have several hundred of them here in my studio.

Billy

Miz Johnny 06-25-2011 06:59 PM

There's also modern equivalents.
This needle is much easier to set than a model 12, but instructions say the long groove should be toward the operator--which sounds to me like to the front. I haven't tried to sew on mine since putting the needle back in, but it sure looks like the long groove should be to the side (facing out). What do you think?

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Nope, you're right. I just went and took mine out to make sure, and now I have to put it back in. Dang!! At least it's not a needle that's too hard to find.

Rats I was hoping I was wrong on this one, but like you said they are not impossible to find. I believe I have several hundred of them here in my studio.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 06-25-2011 07:16 PM

[quote=Lostn51][quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif][quote=SewExtreme]

Look under the edge of the bed on the ribby part it will be towards the bobbin area if I am right.

Billy

Found it! 1956 - Singer 401A, NB743599

Located in REALLY PLAIN view right under the left most part of the sewing bed. Too easy. IF one looks. Oh, I am so glad to be a part of the VSMS, without y'all, where would I be? Wandering... looking for lost serial numbers.

SewExtremeSeams 06-25-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan

Jan, I love your HC. DH wanted to know how you took the side off. We can't see where there are screw holes. What a wonderful experience and education we all get by sharing all of our machines with each other. I love it. Thanks for sharing. :-D

vintagemotif 06-25-2011 08:10 PM

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by

This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D[/quote

What year was yours commissioned to be manufactured?

The 401A is 1951. She is all cleaned up, oil, lube, and producing pretty decorative stitches. She likes to run!
I'm so liking the control and feel of treadling that the speed of this machine took my by surprise. She will be used for at least one quilt!

vintagemotif 06-25-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan

Gorgeous! Enjoy that beauty!

vintagemotif 06-25-2011 08:33 PM

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=Lostn51][quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif]

Billy

Found it! 1956 - Singer 401A, NB743599

Located in REALLY PLAIN view right under the left most part of the sewing bed. Too easy. IF one looks. Oh, I am so glad to be a part of the VSMS, without y'all, where would I be? Wandering... looking for lost serial numbers.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific...like as to far left under bobbin area...but I thought it was obvious. :)

Serial number is never on the parts- at least I haven't seen them there. I love it when folks post the serial number as Simanco.....on CLs.

vintagemotif 06-25-2011 08:44 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif][quote=

Jenny at www.sewclassic.com has the little rubber feet:
"Rubber cushions for the bottom of the Singer 401 401A 403 403A 404 500 500A 503 503A The 600 and 700 series Touch & Sew models - PRICED INDIVIDUALLY
Sale Price: $0.89"

- you have to make sure she knows they are for the machine not the foot control (she has them as well) I got some and they were very much an improvement for my machine.[/quote]

I noticed that she sold them. Thanks for the tip! I will need to replace all four of mine.