Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Kathie S. 07-14-2011 04:47 PM

I think I'll be good for awhile till the heat is off.

Texas Jan (who bought one today)
It sounds like some of us are in the same boat. lol
These machines are so addictive. Kathie

Kathie S. 07-14-2011 04:49 PM

I'll try to free her from the cabinet base tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Texas Jan[/quote]That is going to be a beautiful machine after you get it cleaned up. Be sure and send us some pictures. Kathie

quiltdoctor 07-14-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I'll try to free her from the cabinet base tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Texas Jan

That is going to be a beautiful machine after you get it cleaned up. Be sure and send us some pictures. Kathie[/quote]

Will do, but it will be awhile. Gotta cool down before I can even kerosene her.

Texas Jan

Glenn 07-14-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Nice save on that 66 Red Head, Jan. From the looks of the pictures, I'd be tempted to ditch the motor and treadle it. Great find! Glenn would LOVE it! Actually, a lot of us would!

Oh, and if we're counting... I think I have 13 vintage machines. I think. I'm not really sure. I KNOW I have two 'modern' ones.

I shudder to think how many machines Tommie, Brenda, Billy, Glenn, Char or VM have! Oh wait! Billy has one of mine in his shop, so I guess I have 14 vintage machines! lol....

You are right it is a great find you no the 66 is my favorite machine and red eye decals are the best.
Glenn

Glenn 07-14-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Nice save on that 66 Red Head, Jan. From the looks of the pictures, I'd be tempted to ditch the motor and treadle it. Great find! Glenn would LOVE it! Actually, a lot of us would!

Oh, and if we're counting... I think I have 13 vintage machines. I think. I'm not really sure. I KNOW I have two 'modern' ones.

I shudder to think how many machines Tommie, Brenda, Billy, Glenn, Char or VM have! Oh wait! Billy has one of mine in his shop, so I guess I have 14 vintage machines! lol....

I have 8 in the house that I use and I am not going to tell how many I have in storage in the workshop that I paly with because you might tell my wife. :lol: With over 200 shaving antique shaving mug and 50+ antique clocks in the house I really have to be careful. To my wife's ojections I have been known to trade VSM for refinishing work. Glenn

sew wishful 07-14-2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Okay, ladies and gents...I'm tearing into an old treadle that was given to me. It's a Singer 66 model. Bought a new belt but it keeps slipping off the hand wheel. If I hold my finger to the back of the machine as a guide to keep the belt on, it will stay put. Is there supposed to be some kind of guide there? Since my other 66 is electric I'm lost as to why it would fall off there? I tried to watch to see what the deal is, but I see nothing wrong. Can anyone help?

Is your belt to large for the belt grove? or to loose?

I don't think so. It will make perfect rounds if I have my finger back there. Just to keep it in the groove. I dont' put any pressure on it, so I think the belt is tight enough.

Ginny B 07-14-2011 06:22 PM

I was wondering if anyone here can help me. I have a machine I am trying to find a manual for and having no luck. It says "The Dressmaker" on the front, the side plate says it is Model 201 and the motor plate says it's a Janome. I've looked it up online every which way and don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

cabbagepatchkid 07-14-2011 06:42 PM

Anyone in western Massachusetts (South Deerfield) looking for a Singer 401? There is one on CL for $20.00 :shock: along with a cute little cabinet and stool. Here is the link:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/2493566860.html

This one is too far from me or I would be looking into it.

I just wanted to add that I already have one of those sewing stools and I love it. It is just the right height for my sewing table and very comfortable, too.

cabbagepatchkid 07-14-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ginny B
I was wondering if anyone here can help me. I have a machine I am trying to find a manual for and having no luck. It says "The Dressmaker" on the front, the side plate says it is Model 201 and the motor plate says it's a Janome. I've looked it up online every which way and don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

Could you post some pictures of it? It might help it to be identified.

Miz Johnny 07-14-2011 06:44 PM

Kroil works great for getting things loosened up. This also sounds like a good candidate for the Hair Dryer treatment!! Just aim a hot dryer at the screw for a while and see if that loosens it up. It's worked many times for me.

Originally Posted by jljack
OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.