Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 09-21-2011 08:50 PM

Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:

vintagemotif 09-21-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:

Didn't Miz Johnny say there is always room in a bathroom for at least one treadle.

Davis is a good investment since you will get lots of use once you start making quilts.

Have you looked behind the face plate of your Davis. Totally different from other machines. Awesome design, it's like a piece of moveable art work!

Nanamoms 09-21-2011 10:14 PM

[
I wipe mine down with kerosene. Then I brush them off with a scotch brite pad. To finish, I use the mothers mag polish on them to make it all shiny![/quote]

You mean the Mothers line of car cleaning products?[/quote]

Yes. The little jar of mag wheel polish :)[/quote]

I'm confused. I purchased the little round jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. While it says "Perfect for all metals" it also says" Not recommended for gold plating, chrome, anodized, painted or coated metals". What confused me is the "chrome". Aren't some of the parts like the handwheel and attachments, face plates, etc. chrome?

Help...was getting read to clean a couple of my vintage machines just to polish them up but this stopped me.

Nanamoms 09-22-2011 01:29 AM

Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:[/quote]

Oh, my, the candy counter was right in the center of the store and as soon as you walked in, you could smell the popcorn and the roasted peanuts. My dad always bought us the red hull peanuts which were warmed under a heat light. We never got a big bag though. Sometimes, we would get to choose orange slices or candy corn. I don't ever remember getting the M&Ms though. But that trip to the candy counter was a great memory us girls had with our Dad!

miriam 09-22-2011 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan

Thanks Jan!! I will check that out!

me too

miriam 09-22-2011 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:

Oh, my, the candy counter was right in the center of the store and as soon as you walked in, you could smell the popcorn and the roasted peanuts. My dad always bought us the red hull peanuts which were warmed under a heat light. We never got a big bag though. Sometimes, we would get to choose orange slices or candy corn. I don't ever remember getting the M&Ms though. But that trip to the candy counter was a great memory us girls had with our Dad![/quote]

yeah Sears smelled so good back then... sort of like Target eh?
Nauseates me now.

Weedwoman 09-22-2011 02:58 AM

Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan

Treadlelady.com advertises 20x1 needles 3 for $10.00. I bought mine off ebay right after I got my Davis VF but I cant remember how much I paid, sorry.

Charlee 09-22-2011 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Didn't Miz Johnny say there is always room in a bathroom for at least one treadle.

Davis is a good investment since you will get lots of use once you start making quilts.

Have you looked behind the face plate of your Davis. Totally different from other machines. Awesome design, it's like a piece of moveable art work!

I'm tickled pink with this Davis...just need to find needles for her before we get the cabinet done so I can sit right away and start stitching! :) The spousal unit keeps finding fault with her and her cabinet (he likes his idea of perfection)....I keep reminding him that when he's 115 years old that he might have a few defects himself!! :lol:

Charlee 09-22-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

Jan

Treadlelady.com advertises 20x1 needles 3 for $10.00. I bought mine off ebay right after I got my Davis VF but I cant remember how much I paid, sorry.

My Davis doesn't take the 20x1, that's the AG Mason that takes those (and I need some of them too, THANKS!)...the Davis takes the Davis Long Needle, or the Boye 10....I just got 3 tubes on ebay...that should last me a short while until I find the Organ needles that Kevin says will work... :)

lovelyl 09-22-2011 05:40 AM

I posted this in the Main section, but this might be a better place to get an answer:
I recently purchased a Singer 328 that uses the 300 series cams. It does a beautiful straight stitch and zig-zag stitch, but I cannot get a good stitch using any of the other cams such as the arrow or domino patterns. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or have any advice????