Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Candace 09-23-2011 09:03 AM

I tried using my generic Nifty Notions walking foot (somewhat similar to the above) on my 319W and 185. It did work on the 185 Singer, but kept hitting the foot lowering lever on the back lightly. And it didn't work great on the 319. Can anyone suggest a walking foot they've used successfully on the 185K or 319W?

miriam 09-23-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Okay, I have finally found a 301...

The owner is asking $70.00 and the machine has been listed since the middle of August.

What should I offer.. I was thinking $50.00???

if it works I would get whip lash getting my wallet out...

deplaylady 09-23-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
deplaylady, that's a nice looking walking foot. Is there any indication of its age in the manual?

There's a box of attachments that includes an early walking foot on shopgoodwill.com for $14.99, but the shipping is equal to that, at least for me. I think it's in Tacoma. They also have my Elna for $34. It's listed at 10 pounds, which isn't right, so it would ship for under $20. Lots of other machines, too. Nice old White in a cabinet.

No clue as to the age on any of the papers. Sew-classics has a similar newer one for $20.95. The attachments on shopgoodwill.com has a blind hem attachment not a walking foot. Still a nifty (if not better) tool.

miriam 09-23-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

deplaylady, that's a nice looking walking foot. Is there any indication of its age in the manual?

There's a box of attachments that includes an early walking foot on shopgoodwill.com for $14.99, but the shipping is equal to that, at least for me. I think it's in Tacoma. They also have my Elna for $34. It's listed at 10 pounds, which isn't right, so it would ship for under $20. Lots of other machines, too. Nice old White in a cabinet.

No clue as to the age on any of the papers. Sew-classics has a similar newer one for $20.95.

It is NOT the same as the one from sew classic. I have one of each. That one is much better - it is metal inside.

deplaylady 09-23-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

No clue as to the age on any of the papers. Sew-classics has a similar newer one for $20.95.

It is NOT the same as the one from sew classic. I have one of each. That one is much better - it is metal inside.

The one from sew-classic is different? I guess they don't make things the way they use to! I haven't tried out my new little guy yet - I'm hoping to use it on my featherweight or 201.

miriam 09-23-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

The one from sew-classic is different? I guess they don't make things the way they use to! I haven't tried out my new little guy yet - I'm hoping to use it on my featherweight or 201.

I predict you will love it.

chris_quilts 09-23-2011 09:40 AM

I may have found my donor machine for the screws I need. If not, then I found another vintage Singer. DH wouldn't go for the Domestic treadle though - he said I didn't have the room which is totally true. I am okay with abiding by that for right now as I know another vintage will find me.

melinda1962 09-23-2011 10:00 AM

First, good to see you feeling better Billy. Just let the Lord lead you through whatever comes up with your illness.

Second, I happened into a second hand store yesterday, and asked about any sewing machines. Only one vintage, Kenmore 15 Clone, black, like Montgomery Ward I just got last week. But had a machine in "such bad shape" she would take $5 for it. It was a plastic, Singer Merritt, including all parts and cams. She pointed out that the spool pins were broken off, and the bobbin winder was "broken". Well, there was a little bag of parts in the attachment box, from the OSMG I use, with all that in it, so I says, well okay. I have searched for the cams for my 319, and always too pricey, but all the cams for this one fit it. And I couldn't resist putting it back together....sews like a mmmmmm sewing machine. Pieced a baby quilt on it last night. So I figure it was a good $5.

melinda1962 09-23-2011 10:13 AM

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8627772

Black 301 in a trapezoid cabinet, with lots of attachments. Anyone in the indianapolis area, heads up. Big advantage, since pickup only. Hope this goes to a good home. I would love a black one. Mine is the tan, and I got it before I even knew it was good.

Dolly's sister 09-23-2011 10:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok I uncovered my little jewel vintage Singer. She is a 1927 Model 66, SN AB724262. I will attach the pictures you've all been waiting for. I posted them on the regular board, but Janice said I needed to post them here too.
She is missing the spool pin for the thread, but I even have the manual that was revised in 1924, it was in the bottom drawer. She is a treadle, seems to work fine, I will clean her up and see how she sews someday.

Her she is 1927 - I need to name her
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261260[/ATTACH]

Here's the pretty engraved plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261261[/ATTACH]

Cabinet she's been hiding in all these years
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261263[/ATTACH]