Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

justtrish 09-26-2011 02:43 PM

Well Miriam

The first vintage machine I bought is still in pieces...........it did not need a full spa treatment but it sure was fun taking it apart ;)

Lesson learned.....

miriam 09-26-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Well Miriam

The first vintage machine I bought is still in pieces...........it did not need a full spa treatment but it sure was fun taking it apart ;)

Lesson learned.....

Keep the parts!!! you might need them some day. I think if you break it down into doing a small part of it at a time it is a lot more doable! My DH gets a real laugh out of watching me go nuts with a 'new' machine. I just emailed about a Spartan - I hope I hear from them - it is cheap.

BTW there are some real cool machines on CL in Cincinnati and south of Louisville. AND THEY ARE CHEAP!

miriam 09-26-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Well Miriam

Lesson learned.....

I have the merit badge for taking one or two apart and never getting them to work too... That Elna of mine is a prime example. Oh well. Yeah it is fun isn't it... I learned a few things - did you? Hope your mistakes were cheaper than mine... But you know if mine had stayed working or gotten fixed I doubt if I would have ever learned what I know now about sewing machine repairs and sewing machines in general. I learn a lot from everyone on this board. I'm so grateful to have kindred folk to talk to every day. None around here. I wish I could just give you all a big hug.

quiltdoctor 09-26-2011 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My new "freebies". A friend got 4 sewing machines for me in a lot auction. One is a singer Model 416. I can't get it to stitch at all, so it is going down the road tomorrow. Then I got a Nelco Model 210 and can't find anything much on it. The 3rd is a Necchi Supernova that needs new wiring harness. The 4th is an old White rotary, that I will likely keep and play with. Anyone have any idea who might like the Nelco and the Necchi??

Texas Jan

miriam 09-26-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
My new "freebies". A friend got 4 sewing machines for me in a lot auction. One is a singer Model 416. I can't get it to stitch at all, so it is going down the road tomorrow. Then I got a Nelco Model 210 and can't find anything much on it. The 3rd is a Necchi Supernova that needs new wiring harness. The 4th is an old White rotary, that I will likely keep and play with. Anyone have any idea who might like the Nelco and the Necchi??

Texas Jan

That Necchi is a KEEPER - get her working - you do need a manual though. Look at that throat plate! I had one once then found out later how cool they are.... I'm ooohing and aaahhhing over the top one too - you could put it on a treadle. I have a Singer 416 like that but it is setting next to the plastic FW - I don't think it has a cord and foot control. I don't even know if it stitches - they came with an awesome box of accessories.

deplaylady 09-26-2011 04:05 PM

Okay all you enablers, while I'm still trying to fiddle with the tension on the 603, I saw these 2 listed - the first one I thought maybe could turn into a crank - if I could find a plate and I knew if it was okay - the second,well I don't know if I really have room for it, but it looks cool. Thoughts?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2616825226.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2617854640.html

edited to add - never mind the second - it's interesting, but I don't need another Kenmore. Going for the 15, I think.

quiltdoctor 09-26-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Texas Jan

That Necchi is a KEEPER - get her working - you do need a manual though. Look at that throat plate! I had one once then found out later how cool they are.... I'm ooohing and aaahhhing over the top one too - you could put it on a treadle. I have a Singer 416 like that but it is setting next to the plastic FW - I don't think it has a cord and foot control. I don't even know if it stitches - they came with an awesome box of accessories.

Thanks for the input. I think the Nelco would sew right now. Will have to rewire the Necchi first. The Necchi has the neatest box to hold the accessories I ever saw.

Texas Jan

miriam 09-26-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Texas Jan

Thanks for the input. I think the Nelco would sew right now. Will have to rewire the Necchi first. The Necchi has the neatest box to hold the accessories I ever saw.

Texas Jan

Have you looked at how the Necchi moves underneath? I'm not sure it moves the same as a Necchi Nora but that one is an engineering treat watch move.

Candace 09-26-2011 04:38 PM

Your Necchi is awesome and I agree, a keeper!

vintagemotif 09-26-2011 04:41 PM

Texas Jan

KEEP that NECCHI!!!! The Supernovas were considered the Ferrari of the sewing machines back when they came out.
My mom had one, which I learned to sew on.
They are EXCELLENT machines!!!!

IF you don't want it, I bet Sharon, Purplefiend, will want it. She lives in Texas