Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 10-12-2011 05:32 PM

Anyone interested in this treadle?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2646122930.html

Nancy

QuiltnCowgirl 10-12-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Anyone interested in this treadle?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2646122930.html

Nancy

Just imagine the nice stitches you can make once you get the treadle & the slot handle sycronized (sp) LOL

BoJangles 10-12-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*

Pumpkin, you have a very nice 15-91 and cabinet!

Your Sphinx is probably a 27 or 127. The manual is the same for both machines - the only difference between a 27 and a 127 is where the shuttle winder is located. On the 127 the shuttle winder is up high near the hand wheel. On a model 27, the shuttle winder is low, near the base of the machine.

Nancy

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
You didn't overpay, and you have a really nice machine and cabninet! :)

It all depends on how much work you want to get into to fix the cab...I think it was Dunster that used the Klean Kutter on her Queen Anne...it turned out beautiful, didn't it? :)

If you go look at my blog (the second link, not the DJ link) I just did a Davis treadle cabinet that was in pretty bad shape. Glenn "talked" me through refinishing it by using simple denatured alcohol to remove the old shellac without taking off the old stain, I did use a wood stain to "brighten" the finish a bit and even it out (Provincial was the shade I used) and then I put new shellac on it, using instructions that Glenn shared with me. A lot of work, and messy....make sure you have gloves!! ;)

A way to just "fix" scratches in the finish would be to use Howard's Restor-a-Finish following the directions on the can, and finish with a good wax...I like Howard's "Feed-n-Wax" with orange oil...just cuz I like the smell of it! :lol: ;)

Have fun, and you have my respect for teaching your girls to use and respect these oldies!! :)

Thank you! Now that I see some of the condition these machine are found in I am thinking this 15-91 is looking pretty good! Lol* Maybe I will start with that then, just try and fix up the scratches with Restore a Finish and wax before I go all out and strip. I am really new to this so I don't want to get too far in over my head.

I went to you blog and checked out your Davis - WOW!!! What a beauty, the before and after is incredible.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Well worth the trouble to bring back to life. You need one for each girl...

I was thinking the same thing! :) So now I have an excuse to fill up the house with more sewing machines right?

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Great finds - love the cabinet - the look and how the machine pops up when it opens!

Thank you! I really like it too. It's not the most ornate sewing machine and that makes me feel like it was something that was really used back in the day when it was new to it's first owner. I wish that I could see the things that were sewn on here - I think my dream sewing machine would come with a list of all the projects and owners it's had!

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Addicting, isn't it?? LOL Since coming on this thread I have gained a TON of knowledge and 7 vintage machines!

Yes, it sure IS addicting! I have two treadles, a featherweight, a (new to me) 301a, Kenmore Elite, and a couple of toy sewing machines...these I just acquired over the last few years because I love to sew and love having these around. Holy cow, I think I'm in trouble because now you all have given me an excuse to become an all out hoarder!!! Lol* :)

Charlee 10-12-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter

Originally Posted by Charlee
You didn't overpay, and you have a really nice machine and cabninet! :)

It all depends on how much work you want to get into to fix the cab...I think it was Dunster that used the Klean Kutter on her Queen Anne...it turned out beautiful, didn't it? :)

If you go look at my blog (the second link, not the DJ link) I just did a Davis treadle cabinet that was in pretty bad shape. Glenn "talked" me through refinishing it by using simple denatured alcohol to remove the old shellac without taking off the old stain, I did use a wood stain to "brighten" the finish a bit and even it out (Provincial was the shade I used) and then I put new shellac on it, using instructions that Glenn shared with me. A lot of work, and messy....make sure you have gloves!! ;)

A way to just "fix" scratches in the finish would be to use Howard's Restor-a-Finish following the directions on the can, and finish with a good wax...I like Howard's "Feed-n-Wax" with orange oil...just cuz I like the smell of it! :lol: ;)

Have fun, and you have my respect for teaching your girls to use and respect these oldies!! :)

Thank you! Now that I see some of the condition these machine are found in I am thinking this 15-91 is looking pretty good! Lol* Maybe I will start with that then, just try and fix up the scratches with Restore a Finish and wax before I go all out and strip. I am really new to this so I don't want to get too far in over my head.

I went to you blog and checked out your Davis - WOW!!! What a beauty, the before and after is incredible.

:) Thanks!

Not every machine cabinet needs a full refinish, just like not every machine needs a "full spa treatment"! ;) Why work harder than you have to just to get an end result that you're happy with? :)

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Pumpkin, you have a very nice 15-91 and cabinet!

Your Sphinx is probably a 27 or 127. The manual is the same for both machines - the only difference between a 27 and a 127 is where the shuttle winder is located. On the 127 the shuttle winder is up high near the hand wheel. On a model 27, the shuttle winder is low, near the base of the machine.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy! Oh your information on the Sphinx sewing machine (is it sphinx or sphynx?) is so helpful!!! I looked up the 27 and 127 on the ISMACS website and found a similar machine, and the exact cabinet! In the morning when I can see better I will look for the shuttle winder. It would have taken me ages to discover that if not for your narrowing it down for me, thank you!

Phyllis nm 10-12-2011 07:13 PM

Hi all, look what I found:http://sewcosewingandpatchwork.com/2...inger-160-new/