Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jljack 11-03-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris (Post 4625186)
I would snatch this up in a minute

How much are they asking?

jljack 11-03-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4625618)
Really pretty cabinet and Sphinx decals--it does have the shuttle and bobbin (looking at the photo of the "extras"). http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8860361

Yep, I saw that one. But again, Bakersfield vs. Indianapolis "Pick Up Only"!!! :( Doesn't work out for me!! :) Hope someone gets it.

vintagemotif 11-03-2011 02:18 PM

I'm having fun with the new board! I have spent more time customizing my profile page and then looking to see if others have done the same. Enjoying how folks pretty up their page. :)

Tinabug 11-03-2011 02:22 PM

Need Help With A Decision

2 Attachment(s)
I need help with a decision, This machine is $55 but I don't know if I should buy it since the bed is cracked, otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape. From the pics.
VERY RARE HARRIS "S" HAND CRANK SEWING MACHINE FROM ABOUT 1930 WITH ART DECO STYLIZED ROSES. Made probably by Haid & Neu for Harris which was a large London distributor. This machine dates to around 1930, the stylized roses are typical of the Art Deco style. Note the ruler inlaid in the base and the recessed hand crank, with the bobbin winder being directly driven from the gear wheel. Includes a lovely locking case with key. The base is cracked, so this may not be usable as is, but it is lovely and makes a wonderful display piece

quiltdoctor 11-03-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug (Post 4626408)
I need help with a decision, This machine is $55 but I don't know if I should buy it since the bed is cracked, otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape. From the pics.
VERY RARE HARRIS "S" HAND CRANK SEWING MACHINE FROM ABOUT 1930 WITH ART DECO STYLIZED ROSES. Made probably by Haid & Neu for Harris which was a large London distributor. This machine dates to around 1930, the stylized roses are typical of the Art Deco style. Note the ruler inlaid in the base and the recessed hand crank, with the bobbin winder being directly driven from the gear wheel. Includes a lovely locking case with key. The base is cracked, so this may not be usable as is, but it is lovely and makes a wonderful display piece

I think it looks like a wonderful machine for $55.00. Is this one that you can test out and crank to see if the crack interferes? Sounds like you would love it either way, I'd say get it. Could the crack be stabilized from the bottom without interferring with the workings of the machine??

Texas Jan

Glenn 11-03-2011 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=Tinabug;4626408]I need help with a decision, This machine is $55 but I don't know if I should buy it since the bed is cracked, otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape. From the pics.
VERY RARE HARRIS "S" HAND CRANK SEWING MACHINE FROM ABOUT 1930 WITH ART DECO STYLIZED ROSES. Made probably by Haid & Neu for Harris which was a large London distributor. This machine dates to around 1930, the stylized roses are typical of the Art Deco style. Note the ruler inlaid in the base and the recessed hand crank, with the bobbin winder being directly driven from the gear wheel. Includes a lovely locking case with key. The base is cracked, so this may not be usable as is, but it is lovely and makes a wonderful display piece[/QUOTE

The machine might could be welded from the bottom to stabilize the base without damaging the top of the base. However I would not buy a machine with a broken base. $55.00 is to high for a damaged machine form the 1930.

Derla 11-03-2011 05:02 PM

There are way too many posts on this forum to read them all, so this may be a repeat. My husband bought me a vintage sewing machine at an estate sale for $30. It is a Necchi, made in Italy, Model BU. She really purrs like a kitten. There are lots of different feet for it - but no manual. I've not been able to check the stitch as I'm not sure how to thread it. From the little I've been able to find on the Internet about it -- I'm thinking he did good. But it seems there are 3 different kinds of Model BU and I'd like to get it ID'd accurately so I can look for the right manual. Can anyone give me a link to get it ID'd, please?

Candace 11-03-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Derla (Post 4627307)
There are way too many posts on this forum to read them all, so this may be a repeat. My husband bought me a vintage sewing machine at an estate sale for $30. It is a Necchi, made in Italy, Model BU. She really purrs like a kitten. There are lots of different feet for it - but no manual. I've not been able to check the stitch as I'm not sure how to thread it. From the little I've been able to find on the Internet about it -- I'm thinking he did good. But it seems there are 3 different kinds of Model BU and I'd like to get it ID'd accurately so I can look for the right manual. Can anyone give me a link to get it ID'd, please?

Post a photo here.

miriam 11-03-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Derla (Post 4627307)

Great price - nice machines. Check and see if there is any plastic inside it. I have a beautiful Necchi Nora with broken plastic inside it. Too bad - I can see that it was very well engineered otherwise. Post a pic. Someone may have a manual or know of the right link

miriam 11-03-2011 05:44 PM

CCCCCCHHHHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE
Where did you go??? Are you lost in cyber space? Are you still sorting out all those PMs? Are you out hunting for the deals on machines?