Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 12-14-2012 07:35 PM

Miriam, I love your machines. I saw Cathy's salmon (pink) and gray Brother. That's a pretty machine. I like the blue and white Brother that you have posted.

Grant15clone, Your friend Tom's Westinghouse machine is a handsome sewing machine! Thanks for posting it.

Monroe 12-14-2012 07:55 PM

Seriously? I've only put up to 4 intact (heads and drawers removed) treadle cabinets in my '99 Forester. Didn't want something to roll or slide and take out a window or the back of my head! Forester recently died, now have an old Odyssey van. Way too much room, but thankfully (?!) I'm broke And the sewing room is full. Just need earplugs and an eye mask to block out the wailing Siren song.

[QUOTE=Mizkaki;5720626]Several years ago I cleaned out the back room of trade-ins at Lafayette Sewing Center. My '01Subaru Forrester was seriously over loaded with 26 machines, several empty cases, a tiny air compressor and me.

melinda1962 12-14-2012 08:37 PM

Miriam, I think that that Fabri-matic would be early 60's, because of the stitch length dial-o-matic-ness. A lot of my older badged machines have that, as opposed to a turning knob or a lever with just the number. My teal Wizard made by Brother is from 1966 for what it is worth, but it has a different shape. It is posted somewhere in these many pages, as are a lot of my machines. Some I just tell about, because we have all seen them.

Mizkaki 12-14-2012 09:15 PM

Monroe,

Yes, seriously. Most of the machines were just heads without cases. Most were to become parts machines or parted out, so I piled them on top of each other and did not worry about the paint jobs.

Cathy

[QUOTE=Monroe;5720836]Seriously? I've only put up to 4 intact (heads and drawers removed) treadle cabinets in my '99 Forester. Didn't want something to roll or slide and take out a window or the back of my head! Forester recently died, now have an old Odyssey van. Way too much room, but thankfully (?!) I'm broke And the sewing room is full. Just need earplugs and an eye mask to block out the wailing Siren song.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5720626)
Several years ago I cleaned out the back room of trade-ins at Lafayette Sewing Center. My '01Subaru Forrester was seriously over loaded with 26 machines, several empty cases, a tiny air compressor and me.

miriam 12-15-2012 01:05 AM

We might hold some sort of record of 40 in our van. First we put in machines with cases. Then we put in heads wrapped in old t-shirts, Then we put down plywood and more heads, then plywood and put cabinets on top - legs were removed when ever possible. I am trying real hard to get rid of those machines. We are finding some faults in some of the cabinets as we rematch them with machines. Some have really bad finish & some have broken wood where the hinges are suppose to go - then one cabinet was full of a machine and the leg broke off... I'm starting to wonder if we will end up making doggie beds out of a couple of them. BTW we figured we had parts machines at the get go... I think so far I have only parted or junked a couple. Joe rescued one I didn't want to mess with. I haven't messed with the godzilla machines or the Free Westinghouse machines yet and I haven't messed with my treadles. Oh and Glenn has a little long bobbin machine we found in the hoard - he loved it back to life.

Thank you for helping me date those two machines. They might be older than I thought but they are wonderful machines. That pink one has a really nice big motor on it. If it wasn't a lefty I would like it a whole bunch better.

grant15clone 12-15-2012 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5720813)
Miriam, I love your machines. I saw Cathy's salmon (pink) and gray Brother. That's a pretty machine. I like the blue and white Brother that you have posted.

Grant15clone, Your friend Tom's Westinghouse machine is a handsome sewing machine! Thanks for posting it.

Vintagemotif, Thank you from my friend Tom. Great machines. If you get the chance at getting one, go for it.
~G~

Crossstitcher 12-15-2012 06:40 AM

We have had people make comments to us on taking a machnes out of the cabinets. They didn't know you could do that but, you'd think if they owned the machine for years and years they would know. But, sometimes it's funny to watch the owners when DH takes the machine and cabinets apart. Some even say so you carriy tools just to take them apart?

BoJangles 12-15-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5719819)
Charlee, Yes, a junkin' trip on the way down to the TOGA on the 22nd.

Nancy, We can help teach her how to pack that Impala real well. Can't we?

Just enabling again,
Cathy

Cathy I doubt I will ever be as good as you and Miriam are at packing a car with sewing machines! Geeze, you guys are amazing! I have only packed two treadles together in my car . . . . maybe 3 sewing machines - never the amount of machines and cabinets you two have! Again, amazing!

Nancy

BoJangles 12-15-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5720215)
I had an Anker that someone had rubbed off the name on it but I did find a PDF manual on line for free for it but it was in German. My friend Tom bought a Free Westinghouse that was a badged machine that had a manual in English. Like I said earlier, if you can find another badged machine, you could find the manual. A lot of work though. And yes, he uses wax on his machines too.
~G~

My Anker RZ.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382159[/ATTACH]

My friend Tom's FW.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382160[/ATTACH]

Grant, the Anker and the Westinghouse both look awesome! Did your friend Tom learn how to clean and shine up a machine from you?

I love the little booties idea. I am going to make booties for my portables with a foot pedal! I agree, I hate scratches! Thank you for the idea!

Nancy

BoJangles 12-15-2012 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5717589)
Nancy, I truly believe that the machines somehow have a way of finding their new steward.
I'm looking forward to seeing your new vintage beauties. Congrats and enjoy!

I do think you are right Monica, but I am trying to talk myself out of the Jones machines! I am losing the battle, though! I put off going to see either machine, I am dragging my feet. I now have around 60 machines. I don't worry so much about the portable ones, they can go on a shelf, but the Jones treadle is going to be a problem. I want that machine in the house - but, where to put it? I can't stand clutter! I have my cargo unit . . . sewing machine museum so full now, I can hardly move in there! That is ok, but I can't do that to the house! I already got rid of my beautiful curio cabinet to make room for the Pfaff treadle! Oh well, we are all a lost bunch!

Nancy