Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 04-28-2013 04:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Fq_X_xngU
maybe Glenn should enter the contest next time they have one!

Janis 04-28-2013 08:20 AM

Glenn, What a beautiful machine you have there. TX Jan was very generous!! Can I tell you that I'm envious of you?!! Lovely re-enactment clothing too!

jennb 04-28-2013 04:57 PM

Glenn I'm so bummed we couldn't figure out a time to meet up so I could get Jan her Davis treadle. I was hoping to meet you. Next time maybe :) I didn't know you were a re-enactor too. My husband's family grew up doing reenactments here. My FIL was a provost marshall with the Texas 19th I believe. He also consulted on the movie Gettysburg for historical accuracy on the Confederate side.

frudemoo 04-29-2013 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5208151)
Nancy, If you want a Necchi, save for a Supernova. When the Necchi Supernovas came out they were considered the Ferrari of the sewing machines. I'm sure that I'm one of the few that treadle a Supernova Ultra; and one day after the novelty wears off, I'll put the motor back on so that the machine runs at the speed it is designed for.

The Supernovas are fun machines to play with the decorative stitching, and excellent machines to sew clothes with!

This is great to know - thanks VintagMotif! :) I'm looking at purchasing a Necchi Supernova Ultra - it looks really cool - so it takes cams for the decorative stitches? I'd better make sure it comes with some!

HelenAnn 04-29-2013 05:08 AM

What a beautiful Lady.

SteveH 04-29-2013 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well folks, we did the "Victorian Sweatshop" this weekend at the local Steampunk Convention.

Had 4 Victorian machines up and running, plus a couple of "Edwardian" hand-cranks (Frister and Rossmans)

Had a great time, was invited to participate in two more events this year.

We let folks sit and try them which was the second best part of the day.

The best was having dozens and dozens and dozens of people come by and say things to the effect of "oh my, I remember sitting at my grandmothers treadle "like that", I should see what ever happened to it..."

I made friends with 4 local folks who have old machines which are currently out of order and they would like my help getting them running. My only condition was that they are being serviced to use not to store or sell right away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410651[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410652[/ATTACH]

JudyTheSewer 04-29-2013 09:51 AM

Steve, your post made me smile. A hope of mine is that future generations appreciate and use the machines that we enthusiasts are currently maintaining and using and enjoying. It sounds like there are going to be a few more folks enjoying and preserving these wonderful old ladies and gents. It is great that your display inspired so many people. :-)

Glenn 04-29-2013 10:01 AM

Steve, I am glad you had a great time and I agree with Judy that your display inspired people to get interested in the vintage and antique machines. And yes I agree they must use them and not to be a display or stored. I am cleaning on my F and R as we speak.
Skip

purplefiend 04-29-2013 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have both an original Singer hand crank and a Chinese HC. I much prefer the Singer HC, its smoother and just feels better to me when I'm using it.
This hand crank is from my 1936 Singer 201k-4, my granddaughters were sewing with this machine(1931 Singer 99K). I'd had the Chinese HC on it earlier and we all decided the original was better. The 2nd picture is the 1936 Singer 201K-4, in the treadle cabinet where it lives; both kids wanted to sew and one used the 99K the other used the 201.
Sharon

Glenn 04-29-2013 10:10 AM

I agree with you Sharon on the HC. Where did you get the green seam guide?
Skip