Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Shearling 07-31-2014 02:35 AM

THX. Luckily, I didn't remove the horizontal arm shaft. The puzzle pieces are the needle bar, presser foot, bobbin winder, tensioner, and flywheel. Reassembly of the parts look doable with the help of your references and the MUV cleaning/oiling YouTube video--only thing MUV tutorial doesn't address is needle bar.

Maybe 128 will be back in business after this weekend. Fingers crossed.

miriam 07-31-2014 02:52 AM

The needle bar and presser foot will take some adjustment. Maybe the manuals will be some help. Dig through Rain's blog, he has the best info on the flywheel. Keep us posted.

grant15clone 07-31-2014 04:12 AM

Shearling, are you anywhere near me? I am in the Chicago suburbs.
~Grant~

Shearling 07-31-2014 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6825168)
Shearling, are you anywhere near me? I am in the Chicago suburbs.
~Grant~

No, east coast. I'm pretty sure I can get this little 128 back together, and then use the adjustments manual to make it purr. I did bag up and label each unit as I dismantled the machine, and discovered I have taped all the tensioner parts to an envelope in the order and orientation necessary to reassemble. But I noticed that I have not yet polished the metal parts, so that's what I will do first.

Can't quite remember why this process was interrupted some time ago, but I'm in gear now! Thanks everyone.

grant15clone 07-31-2014 07:04 AM

You were smart to bag assemblies separate. If you have a leftover part it narrows down the search as to where it goes quite a bit.
~Grant~

grant15clone 07-31-2014 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In other news, I have some really great friends down in Georgia that saw a Feldman SM in a shop down there a while back and sent me a pic. I told them that I liked it. Well, yesterday they went there and bought it for me and it should be here Sat. Really great friends. I am very excited about this project. It is missing a couple of things but I like a challenge.
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485740[/ATTACH]

SteveH 07-31-2014 07:28 AM

Now that is cool. I can't wait to see the restore/cleanup thread for this one!

KenmoreRulesAll 07-31-2014 07:41 AM

That one is way beyond my abilities. The area below the needle is interesting. Does it clamp onto a table?

Just want to add that that Grant, I went to your Facebook page for Sew Restored and if you ever get the urge to teach classes, they'd be very popular. You do some amazing stuff.

grant15clone 07-31-2014 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6825512)
That one is way beyond my abilities. The area below the needle is interesting. Does it clamp onto a table?

Just want to add that that Grant, I went to your Facebook page for Sew Restored and if you ever get the urge to teach classes, they'd be very popular. You do some amazing stuff.

Me too Steve. LOL.
Kenmorerulesall, Thank you for the nice compliment. I am going to do SM Basic Maintenance classes for my local quilting guild.
~G~

frudemoo 08-03-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6824506)
Besides nobody would have needed to send their machines to him to put back together for a small fee plus shipping both ways plus his labor.

Ohhhh... is this the answer to that question that's been in the back of my mind all this time? Now I understand.