Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

KenmoreRulesAll 08-30-2014 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 6866893)
Kenmore;
It is also not a gift if your beagle mix rolls in it, eats and then vomits it back up inside your house. True story!! Not a fan of corpse(s) then either.

lol Aww, he just wants to share a meal with you. :o

chris_quilts 08-31-2014 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6867166)
lol Aww, he just wants to share a meal with you. :o

It's a she and I doubt it was sharing. More likely, it was a "Mommmy, my tummy feels funny" moment. She has about one a week of those and usually it's because she ate something (usually disgusting) that didn't agree with her.

grant15clone 08-31-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness (Post 6866936)
crocee. like the website. NEWTON. thanks

cari-in-oly. you mentioned before that you use alcohol for cleaning. how much do you use and how do you apply it?

I use alcohol late in the day WHILE cleaning. I usually put it in a glass diluted with some yummy mixer.:p Seriously, I agree with Cari, but I wipe parts (nothing painted!!!) with a cotton round with the alcohol on it and immediately wipe it with a cloth, paper towel, or a piece of wadding polish. Rubbing alcohol will dissolve the gunk and make it a liquid. If allowed to dry it will harden back up and be stuck to the parts again. Wadding polish is the best of the three to follow up with.
~Grant~

miriam 08-31-2014 06:27 AM

On occasion I have used hand sanitizer/alcohol to clean gummed up shiny parts... Not so good for paint...

Crossstitcher 08-31-2014 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6865683)
Just got this one yesterday:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489621[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489622[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489624[/ATTACH]

Adler 187. Strange machine. Belted, but runs clockwise. Has a clam shell bobbin assembly and a fixed, constant distance between the hook and needle. Takes a strange-sized needle and the bobbins are very strange. Weighs a ton.

Needs rewiring. Included a manual that's written in British English, i.e. "stitchbreadth", "whilst sewing", etc. but printed in Germany. Has foot and knee pedals, neither of which are currently hooked up. Came with attachments covered in a substance that smells as though a former owner was a cat with a urinary tract infection and a bout of incontinence.

Very nice, let us know how it sews once you get it wired back up.

KenmoreRulesAll 08-31-2014 04:28 PM

Thanks, all! It appears to be a nice machine. Everything moves very smoothly. The re-wire will be done within the next few months. I have a 15-90 that's been waiting far too long for its own.

But I will sew a few stitches and let you all have a look!

Cari-in-Oly 08-31-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6867338)
I use alcohol late in the day WHILE cleaning. I usually put it in a glass diluted with some yummy mixer.:p Seriously, I agree with Cari, but I wipe parts (nothing painted!!!) with a cotton round with the alcohol on it and immediately wipe it with a cloth, paper towel, or a piece of wadding polish. Rubbing alcohol will dissolve the gunk and make it a liquid. If allowed to dry it will harden back up and be stuck to the parts again. Wadding polish is the best of the three to follow up with.
~Grant~

Grant I wipe the parts dry too, I forgot to add that. Must have forgot to add mixer.:thumbup:

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-31-2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6868408)
Thanks, all!
But I will sew a few stitches and let you all have a look!

Seeing it in that cabinet would be nice too, I haven't drooled enough over it yet.

Cari

KenmoreRulesAll 08-31-2014 04:52 PM

As nice as some of these cabinets are (and I do like this one), they're like boat anchors or millstones. I'm already using two as night stands, one as a small desk, and I have a rec room half full of them. Veneerville. This one came with a carrying case but I'm not sure how long it'll last and I don't want a body part under it when it decides to give way.

Rodney 08-31-2014 06:25 PM

The cabinets do take up a lot of room. I'm out of room. I haven't even moved my Ambassador indoors yet because I'm not sure where to put it. I may find or build a case for it. It's out of the weather but it can't stay out there forever.
Rodney