Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 10-24-2014 07:49 AM

very nice!!!

miriam 10-24-2014 07:53 AM

Melissa - that is a very nice one.

blueheavenfla 10-24-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 6941425)
I finally thought to take a pic of my Lotus handcrank. Been a busy couple of weeks in sewing machine collector world.

Are you sure that you didn't sneak into my house and take a photo of my Lotus? <grin> Seems like a long lost twin sister of mine. We both are blessed with lovely hand crank Lotus machines.

blueheavenfla 10-24-2014 08:55 AM

A bit off topic but I do miss Charlee. Anyone hear from her? If so, how is she?

miriam 10-24-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 6941518)
A bit off topic but I do miss Charlee. Anyone hear from her? If so, how is she?

I haven't emailed with her in the last month or so but she was pretty busy and trying to get her life together.

Crazy Quiltin Robin 10-24-2014 07:53 PM

Singer treadle machine

3 Attachment(s)
This is my $25.00 yard sale find of the day today .... I have a question ...... Has anyone ever seen a machine that the bottom part ...the treadle is hollow metal not cast iron .... this little girl has a metal base .... she is Singer made in 1940 in New Jersey ....... I have named her Elizabeth for her city of origin ...... p.s. she is my 5th treadle ....cant tell I love them can you ???? lol

Crazy Quiltin Robin 10-24-2014 07:54 PM

Oh I forgot she has been converted to electric if we remove the motor and put the belt back on do you think it would be ok .......

Cari-in-Oly 10-24-2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin (Post 6942270)
Oh I forgot she has been converted to electric if we remove the motor and put the belt back on do you think it would be ok .......

She should be just fine. My 201 is named Elizabeth. I tried calling her Bessie but she got mad.

I think that's called a straight leg treadle, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Cari

mlmack 10-25-2014 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin (Post 6942269)
This is my $25.00 yard sale find of the day today .... I have a question ...... Has anyone ever seen a machine that the bottom part ...the treadle is hollow metal not cast iron .... this little girl has a metal base .... she is Singer made in 1940 in New Jersey ....... I have named her Elizabeth for her city of origin ...... p.s. she is my 5th treadle ....cant tell I love them can you ???? lol

I used to have a treadle cabinet just like that with a 15-88 in it.

Mine also had a motor attached, but I took it off and reverted back the the treadle belt with no issues.

ThayerRags 10-25-2014 12:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin (Post 6942269)
...... Has anyone ever seen a machine that the bottom part ...the treadle is hollow metal not cast iron .... this little girl has a metal base .... she is Singer made in 1940 in New Jersey .......

Hi Robin,

Yes, one model of the Singer straight-leg treadle stand was hollow. I believe that they’re called “pressed steel” and they were popular in the 1940s. I have one that I use multiple, shortened, modified tops on that I call a MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) because the tubular design reduces the weight compared to cast iron, and makes it lighter for loading, unloading, and hauling the treadle stand to remote venues. It had a normal-sized cabinet on it when I got it.

Singer was still making cast iron straight-leg treadle stands up until 1960, at least in Germany, but the tops put on them were larger than a normal USA treadle cabinet, plus, they had wheels on one end for easier movement. I’m not sure when they quit making cast iron straight-leg treadle stands in the USA.

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: Oopps! The German treadle has wheels on both ends.