Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

melbo 03-19-2015 02:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm a newbie looking into taking up sewing as a hobby. I stumbled on this machine while browsing on CL. Is this something worth the money and time or should I buy a brand new one for $80. Seller lowered to $65. Than you so much for your time
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514168[/ATTACH]

miriam 03-19-2015 03:05 PM

It is plastic - if you really want a plastic machine buy a new one and hope for the best.

Quincunx 03-19-2015 04:56 PM

That one is electronic so the motherboard HAS to work or the sewing machine does not work. Getting electronic machines fixed costs much more than $65. It would be Ok only if you tested out most of the functions at the seller's meeting place before you bought the machine. The machine name is New Home but the manufacturer is Janome and that at least has a good reputation overall.

Everyone here is here because they like non electronic machines much better so we are not going to be very supportive of buying that one. ;)

SteveH 03-19-2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx (Post 7133712)
Everyone here is here because they like non electronic machines much better so we are not going to be very supportive of buying that one. ;)

Welcome to the board!

We may not suggest folks buy "plastic fantastic" machines, but if you do end up buying one like that, we will share your pain when it fails..... and talk you through the process of getting an older all metal machine that will last for decades.

melbo 03-19-2015 05:08 PM

Thanks. There are some vintage all metal ones from singer for $20+ but would not know the first thing on their condition and restoration.

Quincunx 03-19-2015 05:08 PM

This is true. It is the plastic we do not like. Did you see the blog where a guy wired an Arduino chip into a late '70s Maruzen all metal Kenmore with the capacity to do designs with reverse in them? That still counts as cool.

melbo 03-19-2015 05:16 PM

Yes, I probably posted my question on the wrong place. No offense, I love the vintage look but I wouldn't know the first thing about motors, tunings, etc. I mean, if be getting lessons on how to thread the needle. Yeah total newbie/beginner. Thanks for the feedback though.

purplefiend 03-19-2015 08:57 PM

Rose_P,
That Free is pretty, but its not worth $200. Are you going to the Greenville Treadle On gathering next month?
Sharon in Texas

purplefiend 03-20-2015 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by melbo (Post 7133736)
Yes, I probably posted my question on the wrong place. No offense, I love the vintage look but I wouldn't know the first thing about motors, tunings, etc. I mean, if be getting lessons on how to thread the needle. Yeah total newbie/beginner. Thanks for the feedback though.

The older machines aren't that difficult to use, the bonus is that you don't have to buy a new machine every 5-10 yrs because it died.

miriam 03-21-2015 02:53 AM

If anything the vintage machines are easier to use because they are so simple.