Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Dan Colby 08-12-2015 06:15 PM

This being page 2 of 4465 is kind of mind blowing. How do I know where I am, and where I want to go? I've been replacing the line wire of an old ACE motor from a dressmaker using new cloth covered wire. I've been taking pictures as I go and a video as well. Are all 4465 pages the same "thread"? Lastly, I hope you don't mind but you can enjoy the stool, I'll pull up a recliner. ;)

manicmike 08-13-2015 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Colby (Post 7284803)
This being page 2 of 4465 is kind of mind blowing. How do I know where I am, and where I want to go?

If you want to search QB, Google this:

dressmaker site:.quiltingboard.com

Adding the bit on the right means Google will only search this site, and any link will get you straight to the right page.

Celeste 08-13-2015 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7284625)
Just a quick reminder to folks that the Victorian Sweatshop Collection will be at the Willits Kinetic Carnival on the weekend of Aug 22 and 23rd. Hope to see some of you folks there. We will be set up in the Mendocino County Museum

Oooh, I wish I could go!

Garden Gnome 08-15-2015 05:15 PM

I am cleaning up and oiling a Brother 1361A ; threaded her up and tried to sew, only to find that the feed dogs don't advance the fabric. They seem to be moving, but too far below the plate to catch the fabric. Can anyone point me towards finding a solution?

Garden Gnome 08-15-2015 05:44 PM

Ha! I just found out the problem--the stitch selector was set on "darn." I switched it to "norm" and the feed dogs came up appreciably. Probably will advance now. Gonna go play with it some more.

Rodney 08-16-2015 09:12 AM

I think we all do something like that at one point. My last one was looking for how to take the top off a different Brother machine. I finally realized it was a one piece casting. The top doesn't come off.
Rodney

miriam 08-16-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7287945)
I think we all do something like that at one point. My last one was looking for how to take the top off a different Brother machine. I finally realized it was a one piece casting. The top doesn't come off.
Rodney

They don't want just anybody oiling and cleaning their sewing machine...

Rodney 08-16-2015 02:54 PM

It was a two tone paint job. my eyes aren't what they used to be. Now if I could only figure out how to get the knobs and plate off the pillar. The blind hem stitch isn't working quite right. If I hold the stitch selector knob to one side it works but if I let go, it doesn't. Zigzag and straight stitch are just fine. Brother put the cams in the pillar on this one and it isn't obvious on how to take it apart.
Rodney

Manalto 08-16-2015 02:59 PM

Rodney, have you tried heat? I find sometimes it's required to loosen up the old built-up oil. Putting the machine in a black plastic bag this time of year (you're not in Alaska, are you? Washington - same thing.) or, more conventionally, using a blow-dryer to warm the mechanism will free up the swing on a zigzag needle.

Cari-in-Oly 08-16-2015 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7288228)
It was a two tone paint job. my eyes aren't what they used to be. Now if I could only figure out how to get the knobs and plate off the pillar. The blind hem stitch isn't working quite right. If I hold the stitch selector knob to one side it works but if I let go, it doesn't. Zigzag and straight stitch are just fine. Brother put the cams in the pillar on this one and it isn't obvious on how to take it apart.
Rodney

Rodney, a word of advice-don't take off the front parts. Been there, done that and it's not a pretty sight trying to put it back together. I almost pitched the machine out the window. If you can hold on, I'll come down tomorrow and help you, show you what I mean.

Cari