Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

KatFish 11-10-2010 01:38 PM

It has twin needles, and a piercer in between the needles that makes a small hole. The sample that was in the drawer was neat looking, but I have yet to figure out what to sew with it. The manuel says this machine was made to produce "imitation drawn work" & ornamental stitching on shirt waists, neckties and underware.

DH picked this up from CL for $15. It looks scary to me too.

vintagemotif 11-10-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

I love your Two Spool machine! I would not of even known they existed if it weren't for this site. I see your 201, but what is the other treadle? Do you use any electric machines? I know you have a FW.

Nancy

Yes, the machine on the left is a 201 in a treadle and the one on the right is the 15-90 in a treadle. I do not own any electric machines. My daughter owns a Janome T-30 that I use to finish off my bindings with a cute decorative stitch ( I dislike hand sewing). And, no I do not own a FW. I can't seeing paying that much money for one; plus, I don't need a machine to take to classes since I don't attend any classes. But if I did attend classes, the machine would be the 301 because of the larger harp space. I just love the comfort and control of the treadle over an electric while piecing and quilting.

vintagemotif 11-10-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
It has twin needles, and a piercer in between the needles that makes a small hole. The sample that was in the drawer was neat looking, but I have yet to figure out what to sew with it. The manuel says this machine was made to produce "imitation drawn work" & ornamental stitching on shirt waists, neckties and underware.

DH picked this up from CL for $15. It looks scary to me too.

That is a great deal! $15. I would play with this machine to find out how it works. Maybe it can be used for quilt bindings-somehow. I think the nine bobbins would be a factor that would hold me back from using it at first. Have fun!

purplefiend 11-10-2010 03:59 PM

vintagemotif,
I love my 201 and 15-90! I have a New Home and a White
VS, can't get used to the noise they make, the 201 has me
spoiled with how quietly it sews. The newest love is a Singer 237, her cabinet lives in the living room.

gramquilter2 11-10-2010 04:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been following this thread from page 1 and enjoy seeing all the machines and reading the talk. So I am now going to try and post pictures of my machines.

My black featherweight, 2 years old
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123465[/ATTACH]

My newest white/green
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123466[/ATTACH]

My granddaughter using the black FW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123467[/ATTACH]

purplefiend 11-10-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
I have been following this thread from page 1 and enjoy seeing all the machines and reading the talk. So I am now going to try and post pictures of my machines.

She looks very happy to be sewing with your FW.

BoJangles 11-10-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Yes, the machine on the left is a 201 in a treadle and the one on the right is the 15-90 in a treadle. I do not own any electric machines. My daughter owns a Janome T-30 that I use to finish off my bindings with a cute decorative stitch ( I dislike hand sewing). And, no I do not own a FW. I can't seeing paying that much money for one; plus, I don't need a machine to take to classes since I don't attend any classes. But if I did attend classes, the machine would be the 301 because of the larger harp space. I just love the comfort and control of the treadle over an electric while piecing and quilting.

Wow, I admire you having the control with the treadle! I am getting better. Actually, I did a pretty good job on the Halloween cheater panel with treadling, but I am still not that good at having really nice stitiches . . . . . but, I was free motion quilting afterall! I am waiting for my hand crank from Billy (I found while doing the Halloween quilt that there were times I needed the hand crank), then maybe I will feel more confident. I really like to treadle, I am just afraid my quilt blocks will be a mess until I get good at the treadle. I have seen the quilts you do and they are beautiful! I have also done some stunning queen and king sized quilts with modern machines, but not on a treadle -- quilts are so time consuming and expensive to make that I am afraid to do them on the treadle! I took a class last weekend on doing a reversible quilt-as-you-go for your unfinished Blocks of the Month and the whole day I was in that class I kept thinking how cool this technique would be to use on the treadle! I am going to use the treadle to do those blocks!

Nancy

Boopers 11-10-2010 04:10 PM

I have a Featherweight and just won the bid for a sister for her on ebay. HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!

vintagemotif 11-10-2010 04:11 PM

I love seeing children using vintage machines. Your granddaughter looks very happy, and your machines are very pretty. I also like your coffee quilt behind the one FW.

BoJangles 11-10-2010 04:11 PM

Your granddaughter is so cute! She is a very lucky little girl to have a 'gram' who let's her use the FW! I love your Featherweights, the mint green one is really nice!