Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cabbagepatchkid 01-20-2011 05:23 AM

I love scrappy quilts so I am just a "reach in the bag" type of girl....lol!
I had never made a crumb quilt before but after looking at Bonnie Hunter's crumb quilts I knew I wanted to make. I didn't really have enough of my own crumbs so someone on this forum was nice enough to pack a postal box chuck full of her crumbs and send them to me, all I needed to pay for was the postage. She sent such a nice variety of crumbs. I string piece them, starting with the tiniest pieces. It's fun!

tomilu 01-20-2011 06:45 AM

It is a cute machine. If I remember right, it runs on a friction wheel rather than a belt. If your machine thumps when it runs, there is a flat spot on the little rubber wheel and you have to replace it, which is easy and they are available.

EC 01-20-2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I put my life at risk every time I move something with DH, even though we've been doing this for years!!

I must be married to his brother!!!! I tell mine I don't have a hold on something and he says, "Yeah, you got it"!!!! Almost lost a 4' x 8' framed mirror that way.

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by josiegirl
Can anyone tell me anything about the machine I am now the proud owner of. The picture is on page 568 and it is a Domestic

http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Go to this site and you can age your machine. On page 18 of Badged White Model ID you will find your machine - they have Domestic 153MC 1949 pictured.

Go back to home page and under Serial Numbers/Dating List you should be able to age your machine.

Oh and it is a badged White machine.

Nancy

Nancy thanks for posting this link. There is a wealth of information here, very nice machines! This is one of the ways I learn about the vintage machines, from photos, blogs, and posts. I then research to find more information, which is how I learned about the Two Spools and Davis NVF machines. The Whites look like a nice machine. My mom said her first machine was a White which was a wedding gift from her MIL. After that she purchased a Necchi Super Nova which I learned on, and now she owns a Bernina 830 which will go to my daughter. I like the passing of machines to children and grandchildren, just as you plan with the FWs to your grandkids.

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I love scrappy quilts so I am just a "reach in the bag" type of girl....lol!
I had never made a crumb quilt before but after looking at Bonnie Hunter's crumb quilts I knew I wanted to make. I didn't really have enough of my own crumbs so someone on this forum was nice enough to pack a postal box chuck full of her crumbs and send them to me, all I needed to pay for was the postage. She sent such a nice variety of crumbs. I string piece them, starting with the tiniest pieces. It's fun!

I would like to see a photo when you are all finished. This look very pretty so far. This gives me an idea for a filler strip for the back of the a quilt. Thanks What machine are you using for piecing?

vintagemotif 01-20-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JaneK
The other pressing issue at my house is the tension assembly for my 201-2. The whole thing falls completely out of the machine when attempting to sew, it's not anchored at all. Am I missing a piece to hold it on the machine arm? It isn't right either,it sticks when re-assembling and thread is totally stuck in it when attempting to thread the tensioner is too tight and erratic when trying to select a tension. Do I need a new one? See photos
Thanks Jane

So did Billy ever help you with this problem? I would like to know what was missing and how it can be fixed.

Ann63 01-20-2011 12:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I received my Featherweight from Ebay. The motor was broke off and a piece was also broke off the bed. The Seller asked me to find out how much it cost to fix it. He said it must have got damaged during shipping. I sent Billy a PM. Here are the pictures.

Hinge broke off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164378[/ATTACH]

Not sure where these parts go
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164381[/ATTACH]

pennijanine 01-20-2011 12:53 PM

How disappointing that must have been! I hope all works out for you and you get her fixed.

Lostn51 01-20-2011 01:04 PM

Well the motor I can get for you but the busted hinge on the bed I can weld it back and repaint it but it would be easier to find another one and buy it. The motor will be close around $300 for a white one.

The parts that you have loose look like the pan screw and pin for the hinge maybe?

I am so sorry about the busted machine but it is fixable and you should be refunded for the entire purchase seeing that its close to $400 in damage. I hope it was insured for his sake.

Billy

Lostn51 01-20-2011 01:05 PM

Stupid question, how was it packed?

Billy