Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

cabbagepatchkid 11-10-2011 07:07 AM

My "new" New Home treadle machine

2 Attachment(s)
(I hope these pictures show up. I tried resizing them but not sure how they came out.)

I have been watching this New Home treadle machine on my local Craigslist. When the price came down to $50, I decided to call about it. It was even advertised as free delivery :thumbup: by the man selling it, and he delivered it yesterday. It's a beauty, although there is a little rust on some of the metal pieces, the decals are in wonderful shape for it's age. I'm not sure how to date a New Home but it's probably from the early 1900's.

The decal on the bed of the machine has a greyhound type dog on it with the words "light running". Not sure what that means, though, but it is interesting :)

ndnchf 11-10-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 4658744)
Wow...you have have the knee controller!! That's a great find....they are scarce as hen's teeth!! Ask me how I know....my 99 is now a handcrank since I couldn't find a knee controller for her.

Yeah, I have another in similar condition minus the kneew bar. I'm thinking about a hand crank for it.

cabbagepatchkid - that will be a beauty when its all cleaned up. Congrats.

jljack 11-11-2011 02:56 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of my 1890 Davis High Arm Vertical Feed machine. I got her off eBay about 3 weeks ago, and have spent time cleaning her up. See "Before" and after pics...

cabbagepatchkid 11-11-2011 06:20 PM

Wowza!! :shock: What a difference! What did you use to get the rust off of the needle plates (not sure if that is the name for it). The machine that I posted just above your post has that same kind of rustiness to it but the Maas isn't getting the job done.

janetter 11-11-2011 07:45 PM

I will be watching this post I would also love to know how you will clean up these machines. Just got two singer 66's that also need some cleaning. Please share LOL

jljack 11-11-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 4668209)
Wowza!! :shock: What a difference! What did you use to get the rust off of the needle plates (not sure if that is the name for it). The machine that I posted just above your post has that same kind of rustiness to it but the Maas isn't getting the job done.

I used sewing machine oil to clean the painted parts of the machine, because the finish is extremely fragile and is down to bare metal in some places.

I cleaned the rusty and gunky shiny metal parts with Bar Keepers Friend. It comes in a can like BonAmi or Comet, but it's meant just for metal, and will not scratch or damage it in any way. It has a mild acid that goes after the rust, and it cleans great!! Make a paste in a saucer with the powder and some water, and then dab a rag in and scrub your metal piece.

Gladys 11-12-2011 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn (Post 3495804)
Billy, I love the Henderson-too cool! Will add my own when I'm home in a couple of weeks.

I agree too. I love the Henderson! I have always wanted one.

miriam 11-12-2011 01:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKR5t..._order&list=UL
Muv's video - she has 9 so watch them all!!!

drgranny 11-12-2011 12:34 PM

This machine is very interesting! When I was very small (a very long time ago) my mom had an International 2 spooler. In 1954 our business burned and her machine was in the building. I have never seen another 2 spooler. I would very much like to buy one of any make, age or modle. Hers was a portable with the wooden cover. If any one knows of one for sale please contact me.

BoJangles 01-18-2012 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love this shop! I am glad we are keeping this shop to photos only and doing our yacking in the Vintage shop! Here is my newest addition - a 1960 Spartan I picked up for $10!

Nancy[ATTACH=CONFIG]304153[/ATTACH]