Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Wasn't the motor on my 99K! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/wasnt-motor-my-99k-t269027.html)

lindaschipper 08-21-2015 07:14 AM

Wasn't the motor on my 99K!

Earlier this week I wrote about buying a 99K that didn't work...knew that when I bought it. People on the board suggested I find a good repair man to fix it. Well, the more I looked at the machine the more "something" bugged me...drove me crazy. Finally a light came on in my head and I started laughing. Yep, it was the bulb itself. Someone had replaced the bulb with a ROUND refrigerator bulb instead of the long machine bulb. Bought one for $1.50, inserted it and the machine ran for the first time. Guess the round bulb just wasn't making the connection. I have oiled the machine this morning and it sounds so smooth. Doing a happy dance!! Just have to find a name for her now.

Rodney 08-21-2015 07:35 AM

While I'm happy you got your machine running, something doesn't sound right. Your motor shouldn't have to depend on having a light bulb installed to run. I could be wrong. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about these machines. Maybe someone else here will chime in on what's going on.
Rodney

singerguy 08-21-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7292842)
While I'm happy you got your machine running, something doesn't sound right. Your motor shouldn't have to depend on having a light bulb installed to run. I could be wrong. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about these machines. Maybe someone else here will chime in on what's going on.
Rodney

+1. rodney, is right. there is no connection between light and motor. no light there should be motor. no motor there should be light.either way something is not right with your setup. motor and light assembly wirings are seperate. you can run either one seperately. meaning - i can turn on the light by itself and i can run the motor by itself. they are not dependent on each other.

tessagin 08-21-2015 08:32 AM

Must be a girl thing. I had a dryer that started acting up. Dh went through same motions as I did. Got it started. but as long as it is running with a new/correct light bulb. Don't knock it. Could be just moving it around checking this and that and bulb change and oil just jiggled everything into place.

miriam 08-21-2015 05:44 PM

The 99s do have a round bulb.

manicmike 08-21-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 7292876)
+1. rodney, is right. there is no connection between light and motor. no light there should be motor. no motor there should be light.either way something is not right with your setup. motor and light assembly wirings are seperate. you can run either one seperately. meaning - i can turn on the light by itself and i can run the motor by itself. they are not dependent on each other.

One possibility I thought is that the bulb could have been shorting the electrics and blowing a fuse each time it was switched on, although I'm sure Linda would have mentioned if this were the case.
Great you got it working, though.

miriam 08-21-2015 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 7293338)
One possibility I thought is that the bulb could have been shorting the electrics and blowing a fuse each time it was switched on, although I'm sure Linda would have mentioned if this were the case.
Great you got it working, though.

I didn't know 99s had fuses.

Mrs. SewNSew 08-21-2015 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7293346)

They don't. Something is wrong here either with the machine or the way it was described i what was wrong.

manicmike 08-21-2015 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7293346)

Houses usually have them, Miriam.

miriam 08-22-2015 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 7293458)
Houses usually have them, Miriam.

just making sure