Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What feet are these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-feet-these-t263579.html)

Onebyone 04-04-2015 06:22 PM

The solid grove line in #3 means something. I can't remember exactly but it's for something.

Macybaby 04-04-2015 07:05 PM

#3 looks like the buttonhole foot I have for my older White - Caroline is correct with the rest.

To use #4, you drop the feed dogs and use the foot to hold the button down, lining up the needle with the hole in the button, then set the zigzag width so it will hit the second hole of the button, and make several stitches. If you have a four hole button, you can do two, move and do the next two, or you can do a cross.

I always leave the threads long, pull them all to the back and tie them by hand.

manicmike 04-04-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7153720)
To use #4, you drop the feed dogs and use the foot to hold the button down, lining up the needle with the hole in the button, then set the zigzag width so it will hit the second hole of the button, and make several stitches. If you have a four hole button, you can do two, move and do the next two, or you can do a cross.

I always leave the threads long, pull them all to the back and tie them by hand.

My GF (who is in the fashion industry and been sewing for over 30 years) told me a couple of years ago that you can't do buttons on a sewing machine. I persisted with it until successful, and she was so impressed that she now does it on the machine too! I would also advise holding a needle between the holes while stitching to create a space between the button and the garment (match the width of the hole it's to go through), or it will be too tight when buttoned and you'll get a wrinkle at the hole. I have a really thick hand needle just for this.
GF has also gotten rid of her Janome (which she bought new in 1985) and now uses a 1950s Singer 319K with modified bobbin case. She marvelled at my old one because it could sew through denim and she loved the mint green.

It's a shame buttons can't be done on a SS machine: I'm currently making jackets on a 201 and have to pull out another machine just to sew on the buttons :(

quiltmouse 04-05-2015 12:18 AM

Is your white an older model? I'm guessing you dont have the manual.

#3 might be an underbraider. You draw a curlique pattern on the reverse of your fabric and attach the braid krom the back. The squared area on the leading edge of the foot allign the braid into position to stitch down the center.

miriam 04-05-2015 03:09 AM

I'm guessing #1 foot is a left set needle straight stitch foot but the only way to be sure is to put it on a machine with a left homing needle.

ShirlinAZ 04-05-2015 07:42 AM

#3 looks like it is meant to apply elastic or ribbon - probably 1/4" wide - guiding the elastic into place while zigzag stitching.

Quincunx 04-05-2015 08:30 AM

The thick solid groove of #3 made me think of button foot and a place to put a needle to stitch over and form a thread shank. But I did not think #4 was one and that makes a lot of sense to have a round foot to put on a round button! Why was that not more common?

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7153911)
I'm guessing #1 foot is a left set needle straight stitch foot but the only way to be sure is to put it on a machine with a left homing needle.

That was what I wanted to look at with the set I have here. And it is not. It is exactly the same as the straight stitch foot I have and that is center needle position for a left homing machine. It even has the same shape up where it attaches to the presser foot bar.

Marysewfun 04-05-2015 09:27 AM

For #6 - the seam guide - if you don't have a screw to fasten it down, you can buy them online. Just be sure you specify the machine you have so they can send the right one - I didn't think there was a difference in the screw but experience showed me there is where the threading goes into the machine. :-)

Marysewfun

purplefiend 04-06-2015 09:19 AM

I sew buttons on by machine, the only way to when I've made a blouse or shirt.