Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Where do you hide them all? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/where-do-you-hide-them-all-t245615.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 04-22-2014 05:59 PM

Where do you hide them all?

I happily carried in TWO sewing machines from the shop yesterday. I was so pleased with myself bringing in 2 from the pile of them still waiting in triage UNTIL I realized that meant TWO more sewing machines in the house. :confused: Hmmm where to put them? The sewing table is so loaded with machines and fabric there's no room to work and there are a few tables with machines inside and also on top!

That took a little wind out of my sails for awhile until I noticed someone selling used shelving on a local garage sale group. :thumbup: I brought it home tonight and can't wait to move some things around and once again have some space for actual sewing!

I already have my eye on my youngest son's room for extra space once he moves out. :p

So where do you keep all your sewing machines?

amcatanzaro 04-22-2014 06:08 PM

The ones coming in/leaving are in the garage.

The ones I'm working on/using are in the sewing room.

The ones I'm not actively messing with are in the basement.

I only have 20 machines though. I did thin the herd in the sewing room today, there are now 9 in here.

barny 04-22-2014 06:27 PM

My kitchen looks like a sewing machine shop. LOL I have lots of shelves there and that is where the ones I work on or play with end up. And my Son and Grandson can come in and help me. So there are4 in the kitchen,5 in one of the office rooms, 4 upstairs in my sewing room along with the long arm. Whew. And one in my bedroom.

sdhaevrsi 04-22-2014 06:30 PM

Anastasia, you must have a large sewing room! I am envious. I am having trouble figuring out where I am going to put my second singer 66-in-a-cabinet in the house! Right now it is in the kitchen where I can work on it as I have time.

And, Christy, I am glad you have enough room in YOUR sewing room for more shelves! I hope you have room on them for another 20 or so machines! :p

oldsewnsew 04-22-2014 06:58 PM

I don't want to talk about it...:(

Rodney 04-22-2014 07:11 PM

We have 5 in the LR, 2 in my shop, 1 in the garage, 1 in storage and 1 in the spare BR at the moment. The only function left to fill is a free arm machine, preferably portable. That probably won't keep me from buying other machines I like though. Most of the machines I find are in tables or don't have any case at all. It's amazing how quickly they accumulate. I think I'll be real careful to not have them all in the same place at the same time. I don't think my wife is keeping track and I don't want to give her a reason to. ;)
Rodney

Rodney 04-22-2014 07:14 PM

If you're stacking them on shelves make sure the shelves are sturdy and preferably secured to the wall. Cast iron adds up quickly and you don't want them taking a spill. It's not as bad as California but we do get the rare earthquake around here and a little prevention can save a lot of grief later.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 04-22-2014 07:34 PM

Good point Rodney. I have definitely been thinking about that. I am planning to assemble the shelves tomorrow and see just how strong they are. If I don't feel completely confident in them I will use them for stacking up something else and find a better set! .

Com'on Oldsewnsew...give!

Candace 04-22-2014 07:48 PM

I've taken over my daughter's walk-in closet and bedroom, and most of my machines are in there. At least 25 or so. I have 8-10 in our game room(mostly cabinet machines) and my main sewing/embroidery machine in my sewing room. If I can't find a spot, one must go and that's how I've decided which ones are keepers or not.

amcatanzaro 04-22-2014 08:32 PM

It's a fairly big room... you made me measure! 12 x14! It's the sewing room/office/ops center. It makes me miss my last house where I was in the small bedroom, it had two huge closets and everything was stored away, here everything is in the open.

I do only have 3 in tables in here, I've tried very hard to keep the table situation minimal. 1 treadle, 1 Kenmore in a small table, 1 rocketeer in a desk with amazing storage.