Where do you hide them all?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Where do you hide them all?

I happily carried in TWO sewing machines from the shop yesterday. I was so pleased with myself bringing in 2 from the pile of them still waiting in triage UNTIL I realized that meant TWO more sewing machines in the house. Hmmm where to put them? The sewing table is so loaded with machines and fabric there's no room to work and there are a few tables with machines inside and also on top!

That took a little wind out of my sails for awhile until I noticed someone selling used shelving on a local garage sale group. I brought it home tonight and can't wait to move some things around and once again have some space for actual sewing!

I already have my eye on my youngest son's room for extra space once he moves out.

So where do you keep all your sewing machines?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM

The ones coming in/leaving are in the garage.

The ones I'm working on/using are in the sewing room.

The ones I'm not actively messing with are in the basement.

I only have 20 machines though. I did thin the herd in the sewing room today, there are now 9 in here.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM

My kitchen looks like a sewing machine shop. LOL I have lots of shelves there and that is where the ones I work on or play with end up. And my Son and Grandson can come in and help me. So there are4 in the kitchen,5 in one of the office rooms, 4 upstairs in my sewing room along with the long arm. Whew. And one in my bedroom.

Last edited by barny; 04-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Anastasia, you must have a large sewing room! I am envious. I am having trouble figuring out where I am going to put my second singer 66-in-a-cabinet in the house! Right now it is in the kitchen where I can work on it as I have time.

And, Christy, I am glad you have enough room in YOUR sewing room for more shelves! I hope you have room on them for another 20 or so machines!

Last edited by sdhaevrsi; 04-22-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM

I don't want to talk about it...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM

We have 5 in the LR, 2 in my shop, 1 in the garage, 1 in storage and 1 in the spare BR at the moment. The only function left to fill is a free arm machine, preferably portable. That probably won't keep me from buying other machines I like though. Most of the machines I find are in tables or don't have any case at all. It's amazing how quickly they accumulate. I think I'll be real careful to not have them all in the same place at the same time. I don't think my wife is keeping track and I don't want to give her a reason to.
Rodney
Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 PM

If you're stacking them on shelves make sure the shelves are sturdy and preferably secured to the wall. Cast iron adds up quickly and you don't want them taking a spill. It's not as bad as California but we do get the rare earthquake around here and a little prevention can save a lot of grief later.
Rodney
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Good point Rodney. I have definitely been thinking about that. I am planning to assemble the shelves tomorrow and see just how strong they are. If I don't feel completely confident in them I will use them for stacking up something else and find a better set! .

Com'on Oldsewnsew...give!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM

I've taken over my daughter's walk-in closet and bedroom, and most of my machines are in there. At least 25 or so. I have 8-10 in our game room(mostly cabinet machines) and my main sewing/embroidery machine in my sewing room. If I can't find a spot, one must go and that's how I've decided which ones are keepers or not.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM

It's a fairly big room... you made me measure! 12 x14! It's the sewing room/office/ops center. It makes me miss my last house where I was in the small bedroom, it had two huge closets and everything was stored away, here everything is in the open.

I do only have 3 in tables in here, I've tried very hard to keep the table situation minimal. 1 treadle, 1 Kenmore in a small table, 1 rocketeer in a desk with amazing storage.

FREE Quilting Newsletter