Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Who has has what machine the longest? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/who-has-has-what-machine-longest-t183978.html)

libber 04-05-2012 12:52 PM

My mother bought me a 201-2, in a mahogany cabinet in 1957. I have that machine and use it frequently, along with my 222K and my 403a. Can you tell I am a dedicated vintage Singer person?

MadCow333 05-17-2013 04:57 PM

The one I have had the longest is my Featherweight. My aunt and uncle gave it to me in the late 1970s, when I was a kid. It was still in brand new condition at that time. The original sales receipt for it are still in the case with it. My aunt (my mother's sister) was a second wife and she had her own machine. The Featherweight had belonged to my uncle's first wife. She bought the machine brand new but died in a house fire very soon after that. The machine was undamaged, and my uncle had kept the machine for all those years, but I don't think anyone ever used it.

I took the Featherweight to college with me. It lived in my dorm room closet the whole time, just like any ol' $15 thrift shop machine. Nobody even stole it. Probably that was before people developed a renewed interest in quilting and Featherweights. I sewed all kinds of clothes on it for about 4 years, used it and abused it, and then I bought a free arm zig zag machine and didn't use my Featherweight much after that. Then I got it out to use one day, accidentally dropped it, and it fell onto the balance wheel, which bent the main shaft! I bought a replacement shaft, but I had to relocate to a region that lacks a good OSMG that I'd trust to install it. My aunt and uncle are both deceased now.

So, there you have it. I know: It's just a really weird little true story of my low mileage Featherweight. I've had it for 35 or 36 years now? That's hard to believe.

quiltjoey 05-17-2013 06:18 PM

I have my Kenmore I bought new in 1961. I still use it occasionally and it works fine. It's in a cabinet which has a power lift uses a knee lever or foot pedal to sew. I keep it maintained and in it's in excellent condition...

QuiltnLady1 05-17-2013 06:40 PM

I stll have my Elna Supra that I got in 1973 -- it was $1200 when I bought it. It has cams and the straight stitch ans serpentine stitch are dreams. I have the infinite width adjustment -- love it!!

nanna-up-north 05-18-2013 04:50 AM

Wow, how did I miss this thread? The machine that I've had the longest and still have is my Viking, top of the line, purchased in 1970, after my first year of teaching. I was able to get a teacher's discount or I wouldn't have been able to afford it. It still works just fine and I let my SIL use it to learn how to sew a few things..... she's sewing machine phobic.
I also have access to my grandmother's treadle (it's at my sister's house at the moment). That's the machine I learned on back in the early 1950's. That poor machine has seen better days, put aside when Mom realized that her 4 daughters needed a newer machine to do all the things we wanted to do. But I rescued it from a neighbor that let her kids climb all over it and I did get it back to sewing okay. I had to send it to my sister's house when we were moving and haven't gone over to get it back to my place. I need to do that.

Skyangel 05-18-2013 12:58 PM

I still have the Kenmore 158-1946 that I got for my HS graduation in 1978 from my parents. It's still going strong, although I don't use it much. Last year I loaned to to my Mom and brought hers (also a Kenmore since my Daddy was a Sears man) home to rehab it. She had taken it to a big-name sewing dealer in Portland for service. About a year later, it froze solid. I opened it up and could see a spray pattern of some sticky white stuff. Took me a week of PB Blaster and wiggling to break it loose, then I got it cleaned out and re-lubed with Tri-Flow.

I have my Grandmother's 66-6 that she got in 1928, the year my Mom was born. It's going to get restored to it's original glory and reunited with the #40 cabinet it came in. My Mom traded out the 66 for a 401 around the time I was born. I learned to sew on the 401, but then she got her Kenmore to sew knits in the 70s.

happyquiltmom 05-18-2013 05:54 PM

The machine I've had the longest is my 401A. My parents bought it (used) for me as a high school graduation gift in 1980. It's been my best bud ever since!

KittyKate 05-18-2013 06:12 PM

My Mother in bought me an ex demo model in 1969.
Her choice an Elna Lotus SP.
We were travelling around Australia in a Caravan with two small children at the time.
It was compact and was used to sew everything, curtains, clothes, including four bridesmaids dresses when my Daughter married in 1988.
Then I discovered patchwork and it did a pretty good job with a generic 1/4 inch foot and even did some FMQ.
BUT.....I bought a Bernina 1031 and sold Ellie to an American friend in 2000.
She went to live in the USA for the next ten years and was well looked after until I visited in 2010 and bought her back home.
She has since been serviced, has a new foot pedal, still has a lovely stitch and often accompanies me to my group while the bigger girls stay home.

miriam 05-19-2013 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5090485)
An Elna I got in 1975 - got it used - very nice machine

I should have said I still have an Elna I got in 1975 to sew baby clothes. Then I literally wore out the machine by 1990. I couldn't bear to part with it. Even Ray White pronounced it dead.

AHA!!! LUCKY ME!!! Yesterday I found one like my beat up pathetic Elna but in very nice working shape. My old one has seen MUCH better days. I have waited for this since 1990. I have found others but they didn't rock my boat for some reason. This one does. Too bad the guy's X took the attachments and a Kenmore and left the Elna and the Kenmore attachments. LOL.

tropit 05-19-2013 08:37 AM

I purchased my Singer 403A in 1972...used. I had just moved into the first place of my own and wanted to make curtains and bedspreads for it. That Singer is still going strong and I will never give it up. I love that machine!

~ Cindy