Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has has what machine the longest?

Who has has what machine the longest?

Just one more little post before I head down stairs to work on the Minnesota.

We all seem to have lots of machines. But what is the machine you've had the longest, and do you still use it?

Answer:
    I have my mothers HOTHER machine. A Japanese 15 clone made my JUKI. I do not know when she got it, but it was when I was quite young. I can remember it being here always.
    I do use it, it sews very nicely.
    My wife has her Singer 538 she bought new in 1978. She'd use it but currently it's ailing and not functional.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I've had my mother's machine the longest, since about 2004. I had machines before that, got rid of all of them. Mom's machine is a Kenmore 1980 Convertible, (made about 1977). It needs to go see Mizkaki, cuz the spousal unit has given up on it! My sister has her Featherweight.

My 9W came to me a two or three years ago, my W&W8 soon after that. It wasn't too long after that that William bought me my featherweight for my birthday (same year as me! ) and then came the Kenmore 84, the 201-2, the 15-91, the White Number 8, the Redeye, the 1924 99, then got the AG Mason in the pretty rose cabinet, and after that was the 1915 28K handcrank. Think the Davis was next, then got the 403 and the 500A, followed by the 115 in the drawing room cabinet. Most recent is the 427, which probably won't be staying....that's only 16 machines...I'm missing a couple, but you get the idea...most of my machines have come to me within the last 3 years...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I bought my Singer 99K at an estate sale in Portland, OR in the early 80's..

Well I bought a wal-mart Brother machine 30 yrs ago and it is still going strong. I usually use my bernina or Grannys treddle or my FW, but my sewing buddy uses my brother.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I have a Singer Athena 2010 that I bought in 1977 or so...she's been in almost daily use except for a period of time when I loaned her to my youngest DD. Still sews great!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I bought my Singer 603E in Oklahoma City in 1956 or 57. I still use it all the time when I sew. It still sews great.

The machine I've had the longest is my Janome 9000. I've used it for 14 years now.

I have my grandmother's Singer Model #15 that she and Granddad bought new. I inherited it when she passed in 1966. Right now I am using my Singer 301a I bought last year.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

My first machine was a sturdy Kenmore as a 1976 wedding gift from my mother. Still have it, last used about 3 months ago. I've mostly been using my 6 yo Brother because it's lighter and easier to transport to meetings.

My Mom gave me my aunts Featherweight 38 years ago. I still use it, am going to give it to my daughter when she moves back to the states. I have been a bad mother..........I have her loving old Singers too!

I have my mom's Singer 15-91 which she got before I was born. I learned to sew on it and made her promise to give it to me because it was the only machine I knew how to use. I have had it for about 15 years and it sews beautifully. Since I took up quilting she has had a workout. She now has company, a Singer 99K, Singer 185J and a Brother. All three machines I acquired in the last 6 months through Kijiji and the grand total for all three was only $90.00. I am still on a quest for a FW and a 301. Hunting is half the fun.

I have had my Viking 6570 since 1980, and use it almost daily. I also have my mother's eldridge from 1947 - but I did not get that until 10 years ago. And I use it. I am working on getting others up to snuff so they can be used...
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    An Elna I got in 1975 - got it used - very nice machine
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

The one I've had the longest is a Kenmore (model unknown) purchased as a wedding present in 1983. I used it up until about 7-8 years ago then it became a backup machine. I was actually going to give it to a friend who wanted to learn how to sew, but she never came to pick it - actually asked me to deliver it. Needless to say she's no longer a friend and the machine is no longer on offer to her. If another needy friend came along I would consider letting it go as I have 4 other machines now
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I've had my mother's Vigorelli since 1984. She had bought it new in the late 70's/early 80's. It still works great, although finding service and/or parts is challenging.

I am currently using my 1950's Pinnock...bought for $20.00 at auction in 1981 (I think). Gave it away in the late 80's, promptly forgot it. About 8 years ago, Mum said now you're sewing again have your Pinnock back, so put my 80's Singer aside and took my Jasper home again. Not letting out of my sight again - a true workhorse with that funky 50's appeal.

Blog Entries
    I've had my Singer Featherweight since Mother's Day of 1973. It was a college graduation present from my mother. I also have the machine I grew up with, a Singer 301A which my mother purchased new in 1953. I can't say I learned to sew on it since as a teen I would have nothing to do with sewing but I did use my Featherweight to sew a few things such as some kids clothes, curtains, etc.

They will both get passed on to my daughter some day.
    Nancy (Go Big Red)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Great things have been done for me,
    and I am filled with joy.

Blog Entries
    So far barny is the winner, with me at second and shawman in third. I have my 1961 Kenmore, though it is not currently in the rotation. I also have my 1973 Elna that never been out of service a day in her life. Right now she's appliquing a floral panel for a quilt pieced on a 1956 301.

The 301 was purchased 1 1/2 years ago when I started quilting. In the last year I've added a 1952 Singer blackside 128, an Admiral, an Universal and a 15 clone (a MW) from the 50s and a Necchi from the 40s plus a 1928 Leader treadle and a 1918 Redeye treadle received as a Christmas present. Yikes!

Blog Entries
    I still have my 1958 Singer 401A. My Mom and Dad gave it to me for high school graduation of that year.. It is a work horse and has the nicest stitch of all. I wouldn't give it up for the world. I couldn't begin to know how many miles it has stitched!

I have a Necchi 523 which I bought in 1971. It still runs like a charm!
    Prettip

Blog Entries
    I'm not even in the running. I've sold all my old machines. The oldest I had was a '54 99k, but it is waiting to be shipped to her new mom. Well, as of this morning, I still have her! But I use a Janome, and I'm not sure how old it is. I've only had her since January, I think. I love her and hope to have her for another 50 years or so!!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I received my Singer 401A for a graduation present from my folks in 1980. It was used, but in wonderful condition. It is still the machine I use most, 32 years later.

Funny, but all the machines I've obtained since are older than that! Not a computerized one in the bunch!

I have a Husqvarna/Viking purchased in 1976. Still sews beautifully.

Since 1982, Iíve had my Grandmotherís 1906 White VSIII treadle. It was her first (of 2) sewing machine, and she got it used as a wedding present in 1928. It still works just fine, although I donít use it except to give it a test-run every once in a while to keep it limbered up. Itís just part of the family.

I have her second and only other SM too. Itís a 1959 Singer 404 that she bought new with a case and card table. I inherited the machine, case, and table in 2006, and it all works fine as well.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Blog Entries
    My Singer 301A was for graduation in 1957 it has been used mostly daily but at least weekly since then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast