Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who has has what machine the longest? >

Who has has what machine the longest?

Who has has what machine the longest?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 AM

This is just an observation, I'm not picking on anybody, but the machines that are lubed according to factory instructions are more likely to wear out than the machines that are over oiled.

Domestic sewing machines do not have oil reservoirs, they depend on the oil film between the shafts and the bores they ride in.
One drop every 6 months or so is no were near enough with a machine that is used a lot.

The machines I've acquired that are awash with oil and it's residue are usually in great shape, just messy. Those I've acquired that have been dry or just barely oiled show a great deal of wear.
I'd rather clean up a messy machine than rebuild a worn out one.

OIL .... is your machines blood. Don't scrimp on it.

Joe
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 AM

I gotta agree with Joe on that one! you can't possibly hurt 2 pieces of metal by oiling them. The only thing you CAN over-oil are motors with oil holes...they can (& will!) smoke & can catch on fire if you oil them too heavily. But a drop or 2 every month or so is good there, too.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I purchased my Singer 403A in 1972...used. I had just moved into the first place of my own and wanted to make curtains and bedspreads for it. That Singer is still going strong and I will never give it up. I love that machine!

~ Cindy
I really like those 403s too. They are very nice machines.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Well, I am still using the first machine I ever actually owned -- my husband bought it for Christmas the first year after we married (1963), so I've got 50+ years on her -- a Singer 328K, and I still use it a lot, still sews great so I'm happy with her. I also have my Featherweight which I haven't had very long -- 2-3 years I would guess. I also have several Singer 751's (which I don't use regularly) and I have my mother's Singer 1425 (also which I don't use much).

Jeanette Frantz