Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who has has what machine the longest? >

Who has has what machine the longest?

Who has has what machine the longest?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I have had my grandma's treadle the longest. I started making simple dresses on in in JR High around 1965 or 66. It is still a winner but needs a new belt
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
And then there's the nostalgia thing. Seems that it becomes more important as we get older... ".
I'm afraid I don't find the machines from my childhood attractive at all. I won't offend anyone by saying when that was, but the machines (and cars and clothes and heck, music even!) prior to that era were waaaay cooler looking. My husband collects razors and was so excited when he found one that was born the same month he was! And I had an Elna the same age as me (couldn't pin it down exactly) and as good as it was, it didn't thrill me when I looked at it! I guess I don't get nostalgia (yet), because I just don't have that "emotionally attached to things" gene! I look for the best product for my needs and ohh and ahh over the pretties, but don't desire to own them much.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I'm afraid I don't find the machines from my childhood attractive at all. I won't offend anyone by saying when that was, but the machines (and cars and clothes and heck, music even!) prior to that era were waaaay cooler looking. My husband collects razors and was so excited when he found one that was born the same month he was! And I had an Elna the same age as me (couldn't pin it down exactly) and as good as it was, it didn't thrill me when I looked at it! I guess I don't get nostalgia (yet), because I just don't have that "emotionally attached to things" gene! I look for the best product for my needs and ohh and ahh over the pretties, but don't desire to own them much.
Different strokes for different folks! Gotta love that!! (Besides, if everyone wanted these old machines, there wouldn't be as many for ME!! )
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Different strokes for different folks! Gotta love that!! (Besides, if everyone wanted these old machines, there wouldn't be as many for ME!! )
That's what I was thinking about the plastic ones! Someone has to buy them for $300 so I can get them for $40 or $50 later!!
(for the record, if I pieced, I would have kept my 99k, but I don't make my own tops... But boy, did it make a pretty stitch!!)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
I have had my grandma's treadle the longest. I started making simple dresses on in in JR High around 1965 or 66. It is still a winner but needs a new belt
Belts are easy. Most places carry them in stock. You can find them on line all over the place too.

Joe
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Still use (sometimes) the Singer that was my big Christmas surprise in 1966. It was turqoise! And the big feature was it did a zig-zag stitch! I also have the Singer my mother got when she married in 1938. It was used then, she bought it from an acquaintance. One of the dumbest things I've ever done, we were emptying out her house after she passed and I couldn't get it upstairs (in its wooden cabinet) from the basement. I guess I panicked and instead of waiting for someone else to be there and help me, I cut the cords and just brought it up. It's in my living room and eventually I'm going to look into getting it repaired. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 PM

mrs. fitz,

The thing about wires is, they can be replaced fairly easily. If it's a Singer many places sell replacement wire sets. And the original connector blocks can be rewired with new wire.
If you still have the controller then you've got 75% of what you need.

Joe
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM

My mother's treadle she received when she and daddy married in 1945. It is a New England Queen.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Joe,

I have my grandmother's Singer 15-90 from 1948 and her mother's White Prize bought in 1895 the year that grandma was born. My grandmother thought that that was when it was purchased. I bought my first machine in May 1969, a white Featherweight that I still have.
I still use the Featherweight and the 15-90.

Cathy
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 AM

The one I've kept the longest is Aunt Sandi's featherweight (1990). Dad brought me Gramma's Singer 66 treadle just last fall. Have brought home several sewing machines inbetween and since then tho . . .