Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Would love opinions on Pfaff 260! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/would-love-opinions-pfaff-260-a-t182449.html)

lovequilts722 03-11-2012 01:26 PM

Would love opinions on Pfaff 260!

Well, the Viking 6460 I was looking at got sold this morning! Boohoo! So, it's time to find something else. I may have the opportunity to buy a Pfaff 260. I can't find near as much about this model as I could about the Viking. Anyone have thoughts / opinions on this model? What I can find is that it's a semi-industrial machine... looks like it has a super large harp which I love, and is all metal except the plastic knobs on the front. Apparently, it also does embroidery. It also looks pretty cool, too! Very 60's. The guy who may be selling it says it even has an auto needle threader! I'm liking the sound of that. :)

Anyway.... would really appreciate any insight you guys and gals have about this machine or older Pfaffs in general. I dunno... it's kinda sounding like a pretty good machine!

Candace

Candace 03-11-2012 01:53 PM

The needle threaders on these vintage Pfaffs almost never work and are not really a bonus. I have a vintage Pfaff that is similar to this and honestly...it's not a favorite of mine. And the 260 lacks a freearm. I've actually turned it into a parts machine as the belt broke and the belts alone are about $70 each. The Pfaffs that came out after this had dual feed and are better quilting machines. If it's a good price...great. But, personally, I wouldn't pay more than say $50 for it. Just my opinion.

Mitch's mom 03-11-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5051095)
The needle threaders on these vintage Pfaffs almost never work and are not really a bonus. I have a vintage Pfaff that is similar to this and honestly...it's not a favorite of mine. And the 260 lacks a freearm. I've actually turned it into a parts machine as the belt broke and the belts alone are about $70 each. The Pfaffs that came out after this had dual feed and are better quilting machines. If it's a good price...great. But, personally, I wouldn't pay more than say $50 for it. Just my opinion.

Exactly what Candace said.

Daylesewblessed 03-11-2012 04:59 PM

Sorry you didn't get the Viking.
I have a Pfaff 130, which is slightly earlier than the 260, but shares the same attachments and other parts. It is my main machine. Mine is in a cabinet, and it is heavy duty. It sews fast. I haven't had any problems with it. I got it from a man who bought it at an auction. His wife wouldn't let him sew on her machine, so he found this one for himself. He used it to make denim quilts for his grandkids and for charity. I got it after he passed away and named it "Leslie" after him.

It is not a lightweight machine.

Dayle

Nona 03-13-2012 04:21 AM

I have a pfaff 130 and my mother has a230 both have traveled around the world and continue to sew beautifully. They are certainly not featherweight machines, but they will sew just about anything from wedding dressing to drapery to ulphostery. the 230 was bought in Germany in 1952 and had its first wok done on it last Christmas. I bought the 130 off of Ebay a year ago, other than tension has been a problem after a rocker fell on it in our camper (my husband had put it on the floor in the living space) and the rocker which was not secured fell over on it. It sews ok but you have to fool with the tension. So far I have not been able to find a rteplacement part for it.