Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   You want HOW much for it?!! LOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/you-want-how-much-lol-t44989.html)

momto4 05-05-2010 10:30 AM

That lady was just cooky or greedy im sure. Either way your hubby and all of us got a good laugh out of it. I highly doubt she has anything worth that much. She didnt even know proper terminology so that makes me think shes just trying to "get rich" JMHO though :)

quiltsRfun 05-05-2010 10:31 AM

Got a chuckle out of this one. Talk about someone who's out of touch with reality!

Candace 05-05-2010 10:35 AM

i'm guessing this woman didn't put the machine in the antique store you guys stopped in at because her reality is quite different than anyone else's. Ha!

JJs 05-05-2010 10:38 AM

really tho, a lot of people seem to think these old "antique" machines MUST be worth a lot of money just because they are old - to them, old/antique = worth a lot.
Never mind that a gazillion of these machines were made.... they've only seen the one THEY have so it has to be worth a lot.
A guy with an "antique" junk shop out on the highway told me one time that the old machine heads are worth more as junk because they are so heavy - and he'd sell them for junk before selling at a reasonable price.... at which time I told him, 'go for it'
I've also seen some REALLY bad shape ones in 'antique' stores for ridiculous amount of money - I'm talking rusted, frozen, broken irons, etc...
One woman who is convinced she's an 'expert' at getting them running just knew the ratty ones she had were worth hundreds - I might take them if she gave them away but would not pay for the ones she had...

pstoner 05-05-2010 10:43 AM

Shoot, I will sell you mine for half of that, LOL. Sorry as my DH said: One man's treasure, is another man's junk.

Charlee 05-05-2010 10:49 AM

JJ, the thing is, with guys like that, the price of these old machines can only go UP! :) (The fewer machines around = higher prices)

Rachelcb80 05-05-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Rachel, since you two have saved $15,000 on that sewing machine, there is a pothole in my driveway you may to consider investing in. It is NOT old, nearly new, hardly used at all we got it just his Spring. It is a deal, only $7,000! That generously leaves you $8,000 for some old sewing machine that is older than someone's Gramma.

LoL!! Sounds like you likely have ocean front property in Arizona to sell too! :D

I can't say for total certain that this woman didn't have a machine worth $15,000, but I'm fairly sure she didn't and is just out of touch with reality. I remember as a child finding an old little girl's shoe down in the cabin on my grandmother's beach. I kept that dumb thing for a long time totally convinced it was worth some money because it was "old". :)

Charlee 05-05-2010 12:11 PM

~laffin~ Have you seen Antiques Road Show? That old shoe might have been worth THOUSANDS!! ;)

Ever notice on that show how the stuff that's worth the most is the most butt ugly stuff that exists? Especially the vases...

Chasing Hawk 05-05-2010 12:12 PM

OMG!!! She must have a touch of the vapors.........LOL

cjomomma 05-05-2010 12:28 PM

I got 1 word, CRAZY.