Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   your opinion of this cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/your-opinion-cabinet-t259719.html)

Hummer Lady 01-15-2015 08:14 PM

I have it, paid $19, needed no refinishing. I altered to hold the cradle for my 301. And it is my go to cabinet. Love it. Handy drawers. Strong flip out extension with no worry of a metal arm breaking. It's a new version of the cabinet my 1910 treadle is in.

earthwalker 01-16-2015 06:47 AM

Total bargain!

tessagin 01-16-2015 07:00 AM

If I didn't have the ones I've do, I would take it.

elnan 01-16-2015 07:50 AM

As a kid, I learned at one of these cabinets. For me there is a problem with no leg room and not being centered in front of the needle. I refer to them as knee-breakers. In comparing this style of machine cabinet with some of the formica drawerless ones that came later, the machine head has a tendency to tear out of some of the formica ones, but I've not seen that in this better made style. Not for tall people with long legs.

xxxxxxxxxx 01-16-2015 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the leg room is my concern, oh well is home now..

The thing is press board, with a oak veneer covering . on the back is a sticker saying property of lane community collage . That school was just being built in 1969. so the cabinet is no older than that.

Ol Fred that dirty rat,, jacked his price up today just on that cabinet , $10. it was $5 two days ago...

oh well it has a real decent 15 - 91 inside LOLOLOLOLOL O $3 for the stool

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506483[/ATTACH]

sews 01-17-2015 02:45 PM

I have my 201 in mine. I like its simple but elegant look.

Sunflowerzz 01-17-2015 07:57 PM

I have several only because they came with the machines I wanted. They are plain Janes for me. I like to find tables or cabinets where the tops open both ways so I have added space on the right also where I keep my scissors, pin cushion, eye glasses, cell phone and coffee or tea when I am sewing. I hate to feel cramped, really bugs me...LOL

xxxxxxxxxx 01-17-2015 09:58 PM

I like the double lid type also, same here all the junk goes on the right..

about 4 yrs ago I almost bought one of these, it had a 201 the lowest price was $100, now having this I'm so glad I didn't buy the 100$ deal.

this will be a nice cabinet after it's refinished. I have no idea it's press board, furniture like this the routed edge has to be stained very heavy or painted to hide the press board..

elnan 01-18-2015 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx (Post 7050922)
the leg room is my concern, oh well is home now..

The thing is press board, with a oak veneer covering . on the back is a sticker saying property of lane community collage . That school was just being built in 1969. so the cabinet is no older than that.

Ol Fred that dirty rat,, jacked his price up today just on that cabinet , $10. it was $5 two days ago...

oh well it has a real decent 15 - 91 inside LOLOLOLOLOL O $3 for the stool

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506483[/ATTACH]

That style is certainly older than that. The one I used was blonde, wooden, and no pressboard. I like those stools, have a few but don't see them very often now. It's like an Easter Egg Hunt in a barnyard, finding treasures in the oddest places. I would be ready to put on a headlamp and spend a few hours exploring.

NapaJohn 01-18-2015 10:14 AM

I have a 301A that came in a cabinet like that. I put it on bed risers so I don't have to hunch over to use it, but I put all my cabinet machines on bed risers to make them a better height.